Heat damage to JWP

meushi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anyway, do you have any JWP Meushi? If you do please post pictures for all to see! :D

David

I had a mame JWP, but it literally drowned in 2006... with all my other pines. I now have a young one I just repotted in a maxit/kiryu/charcoal mix, it gave me 8" candles and a lot of pollen/cones this year.

Michael

mapleman77

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Michael,

My 'Zuisho' is a dwarf cultivar, so I don't think that it'll make 8" candles.....the longest ones this year were only about 2, 2 1/2 inches. But they look healthy. And BTW the needles are supershort; longest ones are only about 1/2 or 5/8 of an inch! Now THAT'S what I'm talking about. :D

Anyway, thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear about your pines....they are a great species, and a pain to lose.

David

meushi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think my mame was a zuisho as well, as the needles were incredibly short... sub-cm short. The 8" candles are on a Negishi.

mapleman77

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey Michael,
Yeah, the Zuisho does seem to be a wonderfully short needled cultivar. And when the needles REDUCE what'll that make them....1/3 inch or less? Sounds like a good graft and a great nebari and one could have a 4" white pine mame!

I've been talking to Brent and he said that, generally, one needs to have around 1000 hours of deg. F below 40 to grow JWP successfully. That doesn't sound NEARLY as bad as most people are making it out to be, and I think that down here we may even have somewhere around there. I wonder if Osaka has around the same cold...

David

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chill Hours in Georgia

That is a good figure to know - 1000 chill hours below 40. I have just started growing JBP in middle Georgia. We have tons of peach farms in my area (Georgia is the Peach State) and data on chill hours is available for peach farmers. Many varieties of peaches require similar chill hours to Brent's figures.

Thanks - good info to tuck away for future reference.

Frank

Top Bottom