Heat in the west, rain in the Southeast

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The weather isn’t being kind this year. We keep hearing of major heat waves out west (116F in Phoenix yesterday) while here in the SE it won’t stop raining. My trees have gotten so saturated I cut off the automatic water a week ago and only hand apply a little to trees that need it (mostly under tree canopies), I check with a chopstick. The maples with acadama in their soil won’t dry out, that stuff has turned to mush and sops up water. Short of moving trees into the garage or throwing a tarp over them I just have to let them drain as best the soil allows. I am most concerned about seedlings I started in Micacle-Gro potting soils even though I mixed in about 50% sand—they are constantly wet even though I haven't watered them in a couple weeks.

So how are others coping? Is this a big problem for you?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cofga,

did you use sand as in 1 mm particle sand size ?

If you did, try 5 mm sand 7 to 9 parts only 3 to 1 part of the Miracle Gro potting soil.

If it has peat moss, it can hold 15 times it weight in water.
If it is made with refined human waste [ closer to compost ] then a figure
of 20 times it's weight in water might be closer as it's water holding property.

As to weather move to the West Indies - 86 degrees - 70 to 75 deg.F
And look for a breezy zone, paint your roof white and terrazzo floors.
Just don't try this on the beach - 80 % humidity with salt [ sea blast ].
Good Day
Anthony

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Definite problem! One that is hard to overcome. I can put up a screen for sun but how do you protect against rain? Best practice IMO would be making sure you have very well draining soil in the pots prior to rainy season. Maybe move the seedlings under a porch if you have one.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@AZbonsai ,

what do the experts in your club or Arizona do to handle
the heat and rain?
Soil mixes ?
Anything else ?
Good Day
Anthony

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You know Anthony I am running straight pumice and the large chunks of DE I got from @milehigh_7 in some of my pots right now and it seems to be doing well. We have to water twice a day in summer and my plants that are not in very coarse soil start developing fungus and root rot. I went from a 70% shade screen to a lattice structure this year. I believe my trees are doing better with a bit more sun and increased airflow the lattice provides.

Top Bottom