Heat mat - what temperature is the surface of yours?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Curious as I will be experimenting in a small space. To small for a mat but the surface temperature averages 95F and I would like to try some unusual seeds on it...

Thanks in advance!

Grimmy

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Most good propagation mats use external thermostats so you can select the temp you want. The thermostats are usually sold separately, the cheaper ones only have ranges in the higher temps, the more expensive versions go down to 30º and below sometimes.
Inexpensive seedling heat mats, have an internal thermostat, so you can't pick the temp. They stay at a few degrees above ambient.
You will need to probably find information about your particular seeds, some do better with hotter temps than others.
So you're trying to do this by an ambient heat source rather than a mat?

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So you're trying to do this by an ambient heat source rather than a mat?

The top of the LED panel I am experimenting with. I have several inches of head room above it and I ordered a Silicone mat that will fit on top of it nicely. The temperature will be reduced when I do that but still be warm. An experiment for certain but electronics are giving me the ability to monitor it and adjust as needed ;) This happens when you are retired and everything else is growing good :p

Grimmy

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sounds interesting, and should work fine. I use seedling heat mats (the internal thermostat kind) under my tropicals inside during winter, I'm sure that's a lot of the reason I get such good growth during winter. My olive has grown shoots 6" long twice since it came in.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sounds interesting, and should work fine. I use seedling heat mats (the internal thermostat kind) under my tropicals inside during winter, I'm sure that's a lot of the reason I get such good growth during winter. My olive has grown shoots 6" long twice since it came in.

Thank you :) With the cold weather approaching quickly I will be spending a bit more time in the plant room noting growth and taking calipers to a lot of small stuff for reference. Also moving a few out of there as the humidity seems to be to much for them even at the lowest areas. I never usually do seeds indoors but Crystal wants Ficus Benghalensis which I am having a most difficult time locating for legal sale.

Grimmy

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
damping off is the hardest thing for indoor started seeds.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
damping off is the hardest thing for indoor started seeds.

I learned that years ago with veggies - long before info was readily available on the Internet. Have not played with seeds since except some flora in the front yard. These will go into a sterile container, most likely using aquarium sand eliminating soil initially. Not much more I can think of other then a shot of Daconil if troubles occur.
I have noticed some cuttings that are otherwise healthy will suffer the same if brought in to a more humid area too. I mentioned in the past some plants that prefer damp feet and no direct sun are often subject to fungal problems but must be grown that way while treating is many times needed... ARGH :p

Grimmy

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Air movement will help prevent damping off. I have fans in my light set up. No matter where you set a plant, if it had thin grassy leaves, they would be swaying in the breeze. The front edge of one shelf it is a serious breeze, here is where certain orchids reside. Think about it, most plants the wilds outdoors encounter light breezes, 5 to 10 mile per hour breezes pretty much constantly, and regularly encounter much greater. The air is rarely calm outdoors. The breeze helps air to mix down through the air spaces in the potting media, keeps leaves cooler, and helps keep pests like spider mites in check.

I'm pretty sure Crystal has fan's in the light set up. Just make sure where you start the new batch of seeds is an area that also has good air movement.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm pretty sure Crystal has fan's in the light set up. Just make sure where you start the new batch of seeds is an area that also has good air movement.

Yes indeed, our plant room has a ceiling fan running in reverse 7/24, an Ion HEPA air filter 16 hours a day, and a Humidifier that runs as needed. Anything anywhere in the room that has small or soft leaf is always moving. Downside is I need to water a bit more often. Upside is the humidifier doesn't need to run much.

Grimmy

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Air movement will help prevent damping off. I have fans in my light set up. No matter where you set a plant, if it had thin grassy leaves, they would be swaying in the breeze. The front edge of one shelf it is a serious breeze, here is where certain orchids reside. Think about it, most plants the wilds outdoors encounter light breezes, 5 to 10 mile per hour breezes pretty much constantly, and regularly encounter much greater. The air is rarely calm outdoors. The breeze helps air to mix down through the air spaces in the potting media, keeps leaves cooler, and helps keep pests like spider mites in check.

Cinnamon is suppose to help dampening off also,...least it will smell good.:D

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Cinnamon is suppose to help dampening off also,...least it will smell good.:D

Fans are good for preventing problems from getting started. Prevention is always better than being forced into treatment.

I've used cinnamon for infections, once the infections start. It was ''moderately effective'' in that maybe 35% of the time it seemed to work. Chemical fungicides and bactericides also have limits to success, largely due to difficulties identifying correctly the causal organism and matching it to the right chemical. So with chemicals, my success is maybe 40%, a little better than cinnamon, but no where near the 100% ideal, It is always best to prevent problems from getting started.

I've never used cinnamon as a prophylaxis, before a problem occurs. I should explore this. I do find the brown powder all over everything rather ugly, which is in part why I haven't tried it as a prophylaxis. However, if I suspect a problem is possible it won't hurt to spread some around. Dusting the surface of a seed bed right as seeds start germinating might be helpful delaying damp off and other seedling issues. Right where the media touches the new seedling stem is a good place for a shot of cinnamon.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
In addition to cinnamon, many spices have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. Nutmeg & allspice have indole based fragrances similar to cinnamon, likely will have similar properties. Turmeric, ginger, galangal & cardamon all have similar compounds with fairly active properties. The chemicals in the ginger group are different than the ones in the cinnamon & nutmeg group. One could concoct a spice blend that will cover a wider range of organisms to use as a treatments for plants. Perhaps blend it into a bottle of ''Dragon's blood'', the juice from Dracaena draco, well known for its anti-fungal properties for plant use.

Even oregano and sage have active anti-bacterial effects for food born bacteria, slowing spoilage of the dishes they are used in.

A whole world to explore.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Perhaps blend it into a bottle of ''Dragon's blood'', the juice from Dracaena draco, well known for its anti-fungal properties for plant use.

OK - you have my gears spinning :p How do I extract it for use?

Grimmy

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I know i used it on redwoods to help after i got a bad case of fungus gnats...harmless maybe but the larvae isn't. I had about the same %.
I used it on the rest of them and some lived, it was more the gnats IMO than the dampening off.
Redwoods are just annoying with dampening off, I water from the bottom, put sand on the top and mix in a little cinnamon now...More survived.
Yes air movement would have helped also.
I just haven't tried many seeds lately because i got 5 seedlings online and just take cuttings that are super easy to root.

Garlic cloves is suppose to be good for soil bad bugs, and moles...as a deterrent.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Dracaena sap is available commercially, I've seen First Ray's Orchid supply offer it. If you wander through your local hydroponics shop, there's a good chance they have it.

You could grow a Dracaena and extract the sap yourself, but you would have to like looking at Dracaena, more work than it is worth.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
They are super slow growing too aren't they?

Top Bottom