Heat Wave about to break here :)

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
DSC_3410.JPG DSC_3411.JPG DSC_3412.JPG
111.6º F just inside soil an inch deep, back side of can away from Sun path,
then an inch in and an inch deep 108.8 and air temp a foot off the deck 106.5º.

It was around 4pm when I got home from work an hour or so after a second watering
my lovely wife was able to tackle on her day off :)
DSC_3414.JPG DSC_3415.JPG DSC_3416.JPG
~2 feet off the deck on my bench air temp 100.9º
Soil temp on a hairy Ole No.2 juni
and a pinus nigra (both of these in mica pots) 110.4º F 4' above deck on the railing.

So as I predicted last weekend a cold front would be moving in this weekend.
Now in the local forecast beginning this Thursday, it is coming in Sunday sometime.
When we see the high thin cirrus clouds dominate the sky as they did last Friday and Saturday,
normally there will be a cold front come through in a week to 10 days.

So at what temperature is it that the tissues begin to die?
By the way this was with 96º air temp Airport reporting 94 or 95 with an index of 106.

Last edited:

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It varies by species, but certainly dying by 115F/46C.
Below this, down to about 95F/35C they are just on a diet, burning more carbon than is being fixed.
Thanks I know it was in a thread somewhere here, did not locate it.
I did use a dilution of liquid 2-3-1 Seaweed/fish at half strength on half of my (less stressed) projects.
Cover your pots with a cloth. I use burlap.
Sounds good but I do not find that amount of time in the mornings in my near future.
(I take this as a daily task for the sake of watering properly)

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nearly snowed on me last night, 40f here right now and the snow line was just a bit uphill. Been a moist season too, sure is nice to not be on fire yet.
Lol! Wow, that sounds amazing.....I could barely go outside today.....sweat pouring from my head in less than a minute....just watering trees. Jeeze!

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lol! Wow, that sounds amazing.....I could barely go outside today.....sweat pouring from my head in less than a minute....just watering trees. Jeeze!

Yeah it is nice, real nice. I work outdoors year round and summer heat is as hard or harder sometimes to take than winter cold. It does get hot here, many years sometimes as early as May. This year has been nothing but easy to handle weather ever since mid March. Not a single day of stupid hot yet and a bit of rain nearly every day! Hot here means high 90’s, over 100 is rare and August is the only month that nights don’t cool down substantially.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yeah it is nice, real nice. I work outdoors year round and summer heat is as hard or harder sometimes to take than winter cold. It does get hot here, many years sometimes as early as May. This year has been nothing but easy to handle weather ever since mid March. Not a single day of stupid hot yet and a bit of rain nearly every day! Hot here means high 90’s, over 100 is rare and August is the only month that nights don’t cool down substantially.
Wow....
Yeah, I work outdoors about 50% of the time....usually on the roof.
Maryland summers have always been awful for a few weeks....but those roof tops, damn they can be killers.

I've measured with a digital thermometer, on a roof, in the shade of a taller building, 130f.
I almost wanted to jump off the roof that day.....

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Here too we're heading for a second heat wave. The first one in June was exceptional, 38° (100.4) instead of usually 25° (77 F) where I live.

For next week, we could reach 40° C (104).

It hasn't rained for about a month, in most parts of France there is water restriction.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
We are running about 90-95degF by day and 73-77 degF by night. This is fairly normal and will probably last to September.
We average at over 60 percent humidity and get practically no rain until the Autumn storms.
All in all it's quite pleasant.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
All in all it's quite pleasant.
Not...lol
Sounds like the normal Ohio River Valley here. My aunt lived 6 hours N or here in Michigan
and when they came to visit by the time they reached, somewhere South of Columbus 3 hrs away
the heat and humidity just smacked them in the face.

Our cold front comes in mid afternoon today with 2-3 days this week having upper 50’s F for the low:cool::D

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Not...lol
Sounds like the normal Ohio River Valley here. My aunt lived 6 hours N or here in Michigan
and when they came to visit by the time they reached, somewhere South of Columbus 3 hrs away
the heat and humidity just smacked them in the face.

Our cold front comes in mid afternoon today with 2-3 days this week having upper 50’s F for the low:cool::D

Nah I love it, I'm used to summer temps well over 100 so for me anything 97 or above I consider hot. In fact I don't think it has got any warmer than 98 since I have moved to Europe so I kind of miss not being hot for the last 10 years.
Still doesn't stop this lot from buggering off for naps in the afternoon though. They should toughen up a bit.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nah I love it, I'm used to summer temps well over 100 so for me anything 97 or above I consider hot. In fact I don't think it has got any warmer than 98 since I have moved to Europe so I kind of miss not being hot for the last 10 years.
Still doesn't stop this lot from buggering off for naps in the afternoon though. They should toughen up a bit.
At least Earth is in the "Goldilocks" zone huh? I'm outside of my personal happy place myself, I like Autumn and Springtime.
I saw a video on Weather.com today presented by Kait Parker :) they've found a lake in the Alps
(which of course should not exist) :( Seems like it was around 11,000 feet elevation.
Now if I could just get maples down (care).

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I'm outside of my personal happy place myself, I like Autumn and Springtime.

I understand that. I much prefer seasons with changing weather, I used to prefer autumn, but now spring is my favourite. Must be the age, I want survive the winter ! :D

I grew up in the "Massif Central", snow in winter, very sunny and hot in summer, but with cool nights. I'd hate to live in a place with no seasons. So far, except for the consequences of the drought, It's nice to sit in the shade and wait for the sun to go down.

And watch the bats in the twilight while sharing a couple of beers with a friend.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
California junipers live natively in the Mojave desert. To them, 110 degrees is just an appetizer. The daytime temps regularly surpass 120.

Top Bottom