Heat wave question

RichKid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hello everyone. Im going away tomorrow until Monday evening. And of course we are facing a heat wave in my area with a warning for excessive heat from tomorrow afternoon until Monday evening. I just separated a layer and I feel like it's already struggling slightly. I don't want to leave it in the heat because I won't be around to check on it. Is it a bad idea to move it indoors Tom after some morning sun until I return Monday evening? It'll basically be spending 30 hours or so indoors. Thanks for any responses.

Mudroot

Shohin
Reaction score
I'd put it inside. Maybe overkill but at least you KNOW the environment and that there won't be the transpiration or a chance wind that could wreak havoc.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you ain't left yet. I left my stuff outsider in a little tray of water over the 4th of July weekend one year.

Inside its dead.

Sorce

RichKid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
No I haven't left yet. Not leaving till around noon at the "official" start of the weather advisory according to local authorities. I'm still debating what to do. I was considering just watering the heck out of it but don't want to drown it. The layer itself was struck in potting soil because the location at the time precluded me from watering it consistently so I needed something to maintain moisture. The fill in the tub that's it's in now is bark and crushed granite but the root ball itself is garden soil. Not sure if it will stay too wet or not. Just really scratching my head. I saw yesterday that it already dropped a few leaves even though the rest look perky. We've had some out of the blue heat the last few days compared to what it had been previously. I know it's July. Lol. I'm not sure if it's dropping the few leaves because it's already dying or if it's heat stress and it's losing what it can't support but it's the best trunk I've ever had and I would really like to keep it alive!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would keep it in the shadiest spot you have water it well (you won't drown it) wrap the container in an old soaked towel or tshirt. The temps will be high, but the heat index that they're listing as heat advisory includes humidity for human comfort. Your plant will probably be ok if you keep it in the shade. What kind of soil/substrate is this in?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
What Judy said. The high relative humidity outside actually slows down transpiration. Shade, a good watering, and maybe something like wet newspaper (what I used to do), a t shirt or even moss to cover the soil and you'll be good to go.

RichKid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I have a plan! I think I'm going to water it well like everyone said and then place it against the house w an old kiddie pool placed in front of it to block the sun but still allow air circulation. I'll post a pic of the setup when I do it.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Do you have a shrub it could go under instead of up against the house? Concrete or brick are good collectors of heat. Under a shrub will be much cooler and more humid. Also the kiddie pool might get blown over onto the tree, or blown away and there goes your sunblock.

I've also used the wet newspaper on top of soil when leaving, newspaper takes a long time to dry.

wlambeth

Mame
Reaction score
So what are the temps supposed to be?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You know...putting the tree inside for 30 hours isn't going to kill it, especially if it is a recently separated layer.

I often put stressed trees (recently repotted, or separated layers) in my barn, I leave the door open to provide light (but not direct sun) and some air, but it is completely out of the sun and wind.

If you feel confident that you have a protected enough spot outdoors (no sun, little to no wind) - put it there. If you have any doubts, just put it inside near a window (no direct sun though) and it will be just fine when you get back. Especially if it's going to be that hot...remember, the tree is at its most vulnerable during the period after separation.

RichKid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Ended up tucking them under a small Japanese maple in the back. There's some morning sun but I think they'll be ok. Thanks.

Mudroot

Shohin
Reaction score
If you ain't left yet. I left my stuff outsider in a little tray of water over the 4th of July weekend one year.

Inside its dead.

Sorce

Yeah shure. It will die inside in a DAY!
1351116165579.gif

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Inside its dead.
I'm pretty good at killing trees. Leaving it inside for a few days will never work.Boiling a pot outside, I can kill one in 4hrs.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gee, I thought the OP said THIRTY HOURS!
If 30 hours inside is a tree killer, it must be an indoor kiln.

I was talking about the mice.!

I'm pretty good at killing trees. Leaving it inside for a few days will never work.Boiling a pot outside, I can kill one in 4hrs.

?
Ended up tucking them under a small Japanese maple in the back. There's some morning sun but I think they'll be ok. Thanks.

RichKid. You shoulda PAYED someone!
Lol.

They'll be fine!

Sorce

RichKid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Lol. My original intent was to keep it out of the sun completely. Where they are now they will see some sun Tom morning but hopefully not too long. I should be back by the evening and I watered them pretty well. I'll post return pics. Thanks everyone.

Top Bottom