Heat wave

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
While you northerners settle back for a cosy winter Australia is sweltering through an early heatwave. Record breaking December temperatures recorded all over southern Australia in the past few days.
41C - 43C recorded by the BoM today in nearby towns though a little cooler here in the hills. My thermometers only reached 41C (that's 105.8 in the F scale) this afternoon except for the one in the poly tunnel that made it to 49C. Maybe the smoke haze today kept temps down a bit here.
48C was common through South Australia today but I believe a cool change will pass through tomorrow so predicted top tomorrow for this area is only 38C
The trees are coping as long as watering is adequate but I did see some juniper runners drooping before I watered this afternoon.

Plenty more to come as Summer has only just started for us.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bureau of Meteorology ;)

Sorry mate. Wishing you cool days. I spent a few years in Ozzy (Darwin, Melbourne) and did a road trip through the red centre in 2017 with walks closed because of heat. Nothing funny about those heatwaves.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Yeah I already had the obligatory sms from my Mum in Adelaide yesterday with the declaration of just how hot it is with further instructions directing just where exactly the heat can go.
And now a good number of friends are under threat from today's fires that broke out in the hills. Pretty scary stuff for December.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And on our side it is rain - enough to flash flood especially if you
were stupid enough to build in rice land areas.
Hit a 68 deg.f [ 20 deg.C ] at night, so back to watching out for the
Chinese trees.
Highs are still 30 to 33 deg.c

Wishing you cooler weather.
Stay Safe,
Anthony

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Doesn't sound like a white X-mas for you guys.
White xmas is unknown down here. There is always debates about whether to have traditional hot dinner when temps are almost always close to 40C. Many have now switched to cold meats, seafood and salads as Christmas dinner.
Personally I've only ever seen one white Christmas when we were in UK at that time of year.

I assume that's a rain dance Sorce? Some would be nice around here. We've been watering the gardens pretty constantly for quite a while now. Some rain over the fire areas would be even better. Most of our firefighters are volunteers and will be finding it difficult to keep going. Soon it will be our turn down here as things dry out through summer.

67C on the roof is probably not unusual in summer. Working in that is. Roofers are a special sort of person I think.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
sure keep burning down the rain forests and filling the oceans with plastic garbage what the heck its not changing anything

What ?

Can't you just appreciate the taste of plastic, mercury, etc. in deep-frozen fish-fingers ? You un-patriotic communist hippie !

Make pollution great again ! Let's make it "amazing" !

Let's double-pray.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
What ?

Can't you just appreciate the taste of plastic, mercury, etc. in deep-frozen fish-fingers ? You un-patriotic communist hippie !

Make pollution great again ! Let's make it "amazing" !

Let's double-pray.
We are trail blazers here first and only country out of the Paris Climate Accords, so smart the rest of the world doesn't get it. Truthfully I find it really embarrassing.

Top Bottom