Heat wave

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
More hot weather over this side.
'Extreme' fire danger for us yesterday. Albury weather station recorded 46C from 2:30 pm through to 3pm.
A cool change arrived overnight but winds have brought smoke from wildfires nearby and further away so visibility is down to around 100m like a thick fog.

All my bonsai have been moved into the nursery where they will receive water from the auto system if I don't get back from any fires as I'm a volunteer with our local volunteer fire brigade. Auto watering works well provided we have power. Timer, bore pump and pressure pump all rely on mains power to function properly.
Fortunately no new fires in our local area yesterday but several small townships burnt as the existing fires moved through the landscape.
My daughter works for a plantation company growing pines. She reports they have lost more than 2,200 ha (5,500 acres) of trees as well as machinery and infrastructure. One of their firefighting vehicles was hit by a wind gust on the first afternoon. The vehicle was picked up and turned around by the wind. Fortunately no injuries but those employees cannot face going back in to fight that fire.

I spent all day New Year's Eve with crews trying to steer the fire around Corryong township. They lost a few houses and some industrial buildings in the town but major losses of livestock and houses in the surrounding rural areas which we could not get to.

All the best for those coping with a very hot summer and also to those coping with the extremes of winter now.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ah, come on, the so-called "global warming" is fake news. There's nothing we can do to help anyway.

My advice : pray.

:rolleyes:
Or, turn over your economy to the French?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
And on our side it is rain - enough to flash flood especially if you
were stupid enough to build in rice land areas.
Hit a 68 deg.f [ 20 deg.C ] at night, so back to watching out for the
Chinese trees.
Highs are still 30 to 33 deg.c

Wishing you cooler weather.
Stay Safe,
Anthony
What won't take 68°F?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
sure keep burning down the rain forests and filling the oceans with plastic garbage what the heck its not changing anything
There are more trees in North America now than when the Pilgrims landed. People take their trees with them wherever they go to live, we don't allow forest fires to burn, and most logging is done on private land and replanted immediately. I agree that the story is different in South America, and that's not under anybody else's control. Maybe you should express your complaints in Portuguese?

And while you're at it, express your complaints about trash in the seas in Chinese.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
There are more trees in North America now than when the Pilgrims landed. People take their trees with them wherever they go to live, we don't allow forest fires to burn, and most logging is done on private land and replanted immediately. I agree that the story is different in South America, and that's not under anybody else's control. Maybe you should express your complaints in Portuguese?

And while you're at it, express your complaints about trash in the seas in Chinese.
For god’s sake, just put a sock in it will ya.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
'Extreme' fire danger for us yesterday. Albury weather station recorded 46C from 2:30 pm through to 3pm.
A cool change arrived overnight but winds have brought smoke from wildfires nearby and further away so visibility is down to around 100m like a thick fog.

All my bonsai have been moved into the nursery where they will receive water from the auto system if I don't get back from any fires as I'm a volunteer with our local volunteer fire brigade. Auto watering works well provided we have power. Timer, bore pump and pressure pump all rely on mains power to function properly.
Fortunately no new fires in our local area yesterday but several small townships burnt as the existing fires moved through the landscape.
My daughter works for a plantation company growing pines. She reports they have lost more than 2,200 ha (5,500 acres) of trees as well as machinery and infrastructure. One of their firefighting vehicles was hit by a wind gust on the first afternoon. The vehicle was picked up and turned around by the wind. Fortunately no injuries but those employees cannot face going back in to fight that fire.

I spent all day New Year's Eve with crews trying to steer the fire around Corryong township. They lost a few houses and some industrial buildings in the town but major losses of livestock and houses in the surrounding rural areas which we could not get to.

All the best for those coping with a very hot summer and also to those coping with the extremes of winter now.
All the pictures we’ve been getting have been awful. I just hope you and the rest of the country get some respite from the disaster soon. Someone made a map of the area covered by wildfires overlaid on England and suffice to say, the vast majority of our country would be burnt. So sad.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
All the pictures we’ve been getting have been awful. I just hope you and the rest of the country get some respite from the disaster soon. Someone made a map of the area covered by wildfires overlaid on England and suffice to say, the vast majority of our country would be burnt. So sad.
One of our brigade members is and ex pom and mentioned that map being shown in UK. Fortunately for you your landscape and climate is different.
Fires are a natural part of the country we live in so it is accepted that there will be fires and most of us prepare for that inevitable eventuality. Over recent years the numbers and scale of our fires have certainly increased dramatically and that appears to be a worldwide phenomenon. The reasons can be debated but the fires are still real and affecting a great many people as well as the landscape and wildlife.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B

so none of the plastic garbage came from America and none of the rain forest clearing is done to sell crops to consumers abroad including here(not to mention how much of the world's oxygen is produced there)? Very narrowminded to think its not all our fault and blame it on the neighbor or the guy down the block. Ohh and come to FLA where they are clearing land like crazy to build strip malls and motels. We are all in this together and its the only home we have so everyone needs to try and take better care of it.

Reactions: AJL

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
One of our brigade members is and ex pom and mentioned that map being shown in UK. Fortunately for you your landscape and climate is different.
Fires are a natural part of the country we live in so it is accepted that there will be fires and most of us prepare for that inevitable eventuality. Over recent years the numbers and scale of our fires have certainly increased dramatically and that appears to be a worldwide phenomenon. The reasons can be debated but the fires are still real and affecting a great many people as well as the landscape and wildlife.
Yes thankfully wildfires are near unheard of here, so far. I guess having contingencies in place means you guys are better prepared but still, devastating. Half a billion critters lost... It’s a bit late for whys and wherefores though now.
Good on you for doing your bit though. Just stay safe!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What kind of birds? They are beautiful.

Golden Laced Wyandotte.

Thanks!

Working on bribing my Nazi (like, I literally think dude was a Nazi) neighbor into letting us keep em!

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
so none of the plastic garbage came from America and none of the rain forest clearing is done to sell crops to consumers abroad including here(not to mention how much of the world's oxygen is produced there)? Very narrow minded to think its not all our fault and blame it on the neighbor or the guy down the block. Ohh and come to FLA where they are clearing land like crazy to build strip malls and motels. We are all in this together and its the only home we have so everyone needs to try and take better care of it.
You are in FL, do something constructive in FL and stop projecting blame on others. I'm in Michigan. We are not all in this together in the manor you are speaking of. You are blaming the rest of the world that doesn't accept your childish rant as productive conversation. There are lots of problems to be solved in the world, and in FL, and they start with proposing a viable alternative. Just yelling, "The sky is falling" proves nothing and solves nothing. Propose an alternative acceptable to enough people to change whatever you have a problem with. You too, French Disconnection.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score

Be safe.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Forsoothe! ,

Sub-tropicals can't handle the temperature range 93 deg.F by day
and high 60's at night if left in full sun.
Those in high shade have no problems.
Good Day
Anthony

High Shade = lowest branch at 14 to 16 feet.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
We are back to heat wave conditions again. Another 3 days of temps above 40C. Nearest official weather station at Albury recorded 45.7 C this afternoon. The thermometer in the nursery (in full shade) topped out at 43.2C here. Some droopy plants at afternoon watering but all will be OK after a good drink.

Fires in our area have subsided after a few days of good rain a week ago. Canberra has fires now so more of the country burnt this summer.

I'm nearly over this heat.......

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Where does your water come from? You guys must be getting through so much at the moment.

Top Bottom