Heating mats for cutting propagation?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I am attempting to step up my propagation game this spring with timed misters, bottom heat, etc. And I would like to have the systems done by early February.

When providing bottom heat, anywhere from 10°F-15°F above ambient temperature is generally recommended for most cuttings. To achieve this, I have found a few options.

They sell (in various sizes) these mats for the germination of seeds. They claim to be 10°F-20°F above the air temperature and are inexpensive, but they are not adjustable. If they are too warm or too cold there's nothing I can do.

https://jet.com/product/product/a6c...e825afb8423b&gclid=CMSFyvjfp8gCFVGRHwods00NUw

Or I can get adjustable heating mats specifically for the propagation of cuttings from a number of sources. They are very likely worth it but I dont have a clue what brands are good or not.

So with that said,

Would the linked product be sufficient?

If not, what product/brand would you recommend based on experience?

Thanks, Joe

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am attempting to step up my propagation game this spring with timed misters, bottom heat, etc. And I would like to have the systems done by early February.

When providing bottom heat, anywhere from 10°F-15°F above ambient temperature is generally recommended for most cuttings. To achieve this, I have found a few options.

They sell (in various sizes) these mats for the germination of seeds. They claim to be 10°F-20°F above the air temperature and are inexpensive, but they are not adjustable. If they are too warm or too cold there's nothing I can do.

https://jet.com/product/product/a6c...e825afb8423b&gclid=CMSFyvjfp8gCFVGRHwods00NUw

Or I can get adjustable heating mats specifically for the propagation of cuttings from a number of sources. They are very likely worth it but I dont have a clue what brands are good or not.

So with that said,

Would the linked product be sufficient?

If not, what product/brand would you recommend based on experience?

Thanks, Joe
I use a queen size electric mattress heating pad that has ten settings. It is on two 6' folding tables, side by side with a sheet of plastic on it. I have used as far as I know every type of prop pad known and I love the set up I have now.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
image.jpg Here is the control, it stays on 6 and keeps my root surface at 76 degrees.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In a discussion with my attorney I mentioned I was getting roots in about 7 days and he says ( nobody gets roots in seven days!) I said that's right! I am NOBODY! :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hope you got a place to sell all these cuttings you don't need!

This is not helping you attain that good tree!

Unless you have a plan to sell them forever to get your tree!

Sorce

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I hope you got a place to sell all these cuttings you don't need!

This is not helping you attain that good tree!

Unless you have a plan to sell them forever to get your tree!

Sorce
I have plans sir.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I use a queen size electric mattress heating pad that has ten settings. It is on two 6' folding tables, side by side with a sheet of plastic on it. I have used as far as I know every type of prop pad known and I love the set up I have now.
I didn't think about those, that sounds like a much better idea.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would not use the mattress heating pad if there is any chance of it getting wet.

I have used these heat mats with really great success. They are durable and since you're propagating, you can use the cheaper thermostats, as the expensive ones are the only ones that go lower than you want (they'll go down to 30's so you can use them in a cold greenhouse situation) Here are a couple links. Let me know if you have trouble with the links, I have these copied from a saved supply list.

thermostat 68-110F - hydrofarm

http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/8043-Digital-Heat-Mat-Thermostat--E3443-.htm

small heat mat (super durable, but expensive, that's why I didn't get this for my larger ones..)

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/commercial-propagating-mat/heat-mats-seeding

large heat mats - redi-heat

http://www.growerssupply.com/farm/supplies/prod1;gs1_seed_germination;pg106148

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've used the heating pads from the pharmacy set on low.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
@JudyB

Thanks for the links

The first one is too small for what I am trying to do, and the second link is broken.

But the thermostat will work well I think.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would not use the mattress heating pad if there is any chance of it getting wet.

I have used these heat mats with really great success. They are durable and since you're propagating, you can use the cheaper thermostats, as the expensive ones are the only ones that go lower than you want (they'll go down to 30's so you can use them in a cold greenhouse situation) Here are a couple links. Let me know if you have trouble with the links, I have these copied from a saved supply list.

thermostat 68-110F - hydrofarm

http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/8043-Digital-Heat-Mat-Thermostat--E3443-.htm

small heat mat (super durable, but expensive, that's why I didn't get this for my larger ones..)

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/commercial-propagating-mat/h

large heat mats - redi-heat

http://www.growerssupply.com/farm/supplies/prod1;gs1_seed_germination;pg106148
Yes, you would think that you should not get it wet so I have kept heavy plastic on it, but they can get wet and not be unsafe or damaged and they are thermally protected. They are designed so people can pee the bed and not be shocked you know.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
In a discussion with my attorney I mentioned I was getting roots in about 7 days and he says ( nobody gets roots in seven days!) I said that's right! I am NOBODY! :)
What species of tree? Some will root that fast.. Pomegranate, even Crepe Myrtle roots very quick.
Never used heating pads.... No input there, just curious what types of trees you have rooting in 7 days.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What species of tree? Some will root that fast.. Pomegranate, even Crepe Myrtle roots very quick.
Never used heating pads.... No input there, just curious what types of trees you have rooting in 7 days.
Acer Campestre, Hedge Maple is what we were talking about, but a lot of the green new growth shoots will root rapidly under 18 hour cycles of HPS artificial light.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Yes, you would think that you should not get it wet so I have kept heavy plastic on it, but they can get wet and not be unsafe or damaged and they are thermally protected. They are designed so people can pee the bed and not be shocked you know.
Are they cheaper for the size?

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are they cheaper for the size?
Very much so and last longer, more efficient. I believe because they are insulated, they don't use as much energy from heating and cooling rapidly. It was $59.95 at WM and has been on for over two years!

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Acer Campestre, Hedge Maple is what we were talking about, but a lot of the green new growth shoots will root rapidly under 18 hour cycles of HPS artificial light.
I see... I basically only have interest in hard wood cuttings. I do it as a method for producing more mature stock quicker than you can from seed... I prefer rooting larger branches.

Top Bottom