Heating pad for Mountain Pine germination?

Leedzles

Seed
Reaction score
My Mountain Pine (Pinus Mugo Pumilio) seeds have just finished their 4 week cold stratification, and I've got them in a little greenhouse ready to start germinating. I have a random heating pad laying around, and was wondering If I should put this under the greenhouse to promote germination? Would this help them at all, or is it unneeded?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
A heating pad for human use is likely to get too warm, and might not be sufficiently water proof to safely use under pots. There are greenhouse grade heating pads that will not over heat and are reliably water proof.

I don't know for certain regarding mugo, but JWP, JBP, and a few other pines I have grown from seed don't need high heat to start germination. Mine were always outdoors, temps into 60 to 80 F daytime and 50 to 70 F at night. Jack pine germinated early, while spring was still cool. Others germinated later, as weather warmed up. You probably don't need a heat pad for mugo. It may be useful for certain deciduous species, but not needed for most pines.

Mugo absolutely need full sun for healthy, tight growth. I would keep the seed in the refrigerator until after danger of frost has passed, then put them outside to germinate in full sun. Growth indoors under lights, or on a windowsill will be weak, not as useful for bonsai.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
look for something called a seedling heat mat. These are actually made for the purpose you are after.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
. I would keep the seed in the refrigerator until after danger of frost has passed, then put them outside to germinate in full sun. Growth indoors under lights, or on a windowsill will be weak, not as useful for bonsai.
Leo. Would you recommend this for scots as well? I am about ready to stratify and germinate some scots seeds. I have a t-5 florescent light set up in an indoor grow tent. About march-april I can do the shuffle between days out side and night in. So they would really only be grown under lights for about 8 weeks give or take.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Yep, all pines want full outdoors sun. I grow orchids under T5s and have tried JBP under lights. Even under an 8 tube, 48 inch, 6500K, fixture, running 18 hour day length, my JBP growth was weak and leggy. Had to cut off all under lights growth later because it never looked right. Lights are great for trees listed as shade tolerant, but pines are true sun lovers, even more so than cactus.

Top Bottom