Heavily rootbound nursery stock find on 1 Sept

OldN00b

Seedling
Reaction score
Found a beautiful but somewhat neglected Ilex crenata today, and this evening when I attempted to check the soil pH, the pot is so root bound that i can barely insert the probe. The soil is seriously alkaline and it's September 1st. If I'm gentle with the roots (no heavy pruning), is it safe to repot. I'm Zone 6b, close to the Potomac River in northern VA. Sorry for the insanely n00bish question, but my searches have not helped with this set of conditions. TIA

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Found a beautiful but somewhat neglected Ilex crenata today, and this evening when I attempted to check the soil pH, the pot is so root bound that i can barely insert the probe. The soil is seriously alkaline and it's September 1st. If I'm gentle with the roots (no heavy pruning), is it safe to repot. I'm Zone 6b, close to the Potomac River in northern VA. Sorry for the insanely n00bish question, but my searches have not helped with this set of conditions. TIA
It will be fine until spring. Trees live for years in more rootbound soil then yours. The fact that you can insert a probe tells me it will survive the winter just fine.
I have a nursery trident that you could hit with a sledge hammer and not make a dent and its been in the pot it’s in for at least 10-15 years. I received it in June and I’m waiting until late winter to do the root work.
No rush.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It will be fine until spring. Trees live for years in more rootbound soil then yours. The fact that you can insert a probe tells me it will survive the winter just fine.
I have a nursery trident that you could hit with a sledge hammer and not make a dent and its been in the pot it’s in for at least 10-15 years. I received it in June and I’m waiting until late winter to do the root work.
No rush.
Amen. Plus a deep nursery pot to training pot now is going to be even tougher on the tree.
People in the West tend to repot their trees far too often anyway.

OldN00b

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the time and replies. By & by, I was not consideringing training pot; more wanting to deal with such a high pH (which is causing discoloration in some of the leaves).

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Any photos of the bush?
And, it’s possible that other circumstances are causing the the discoloration in the leaves. What makes you suspect the ph?

OldN00b

Seedling
Reaction score
I can snap some shortly, but my assessment of the pH was my meter: it pegs barely shy of 8.0.

OldN00b

Seedling
Reaction score
Any photos of the bush?
And, it’s possible that other circumstances are causing the the discoloration in the leaves. What makes you suspect the ph?

Attachments

• 20190903_130101.jpg
    20190903_130101.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 91

OldN00b

Seedling
Reaction score
Wrong image above. This one ...

Attachments

• 20190903_130025.jpg
    20190903_130025.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 97

OldN00b

Seedling
Reaction score
Any photos of the bush?
Is it possible? Yessir. Might be over watering too. I'm lifting it out of the plastic nursery pot tomorrow, but leaving the root mass alone (just to get a view)

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks like it has potential for sure. Nice nebari and trunk thickness.
I don’t see anything to worry about messing with right now. I would just leave it alone until late winter then root prune it and cut it way back.
Where are you located?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you can pull it out of the pot and just sink the plant in the ground it would be a healthier situation. You could give a good dose of Miracid, too.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you can pull it out of the pot and just sink the plant in the ground it would be a healthier situation. You could give a good dose of Miracid, too.
I like you a little more every time I see your advice.
I second the motion....either this or let it alone until late winter'early spring

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't believe in PH but if I did....

I would guess it's an entire plant problem, and wouldn't show up in patches.

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
More serious than a high or a low pH is indiscriminately changing the pH too rapidly. If the ilex is as pot bound as you say, it is probably a nutrient problem and the particular nutrient is probably nitrogen. Holly tone or miracid is appropriate for both fixes.

Top Bottom