Resource icon

Heavy Bending "Channeling"

Reaction score
sawgrass submitted a new resource:

Heavy Bending "Channeling" - How one can achieve a heavy bend through creating a channel.

This tutorial is going to be part of a series, dealing with Heavy Bending, My goal with doing this is to try and demonstrate not only the various types of procedures on how to obtain a heavy bend, but also to try and discuss when and where each might be used most efficiently. I also feel it is very important that some time be given to the negative sides of doing each as well, and what one could expect, so that one is aware of these before hand and can hopefully make an educated and informed...

Read more about this resource...

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Doesn't this method create a inverse taper (and a big shari) ?

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
sawgrass submitted a new resource:

Heavy Bending "Channeling" - How one can achieve a heavy bend through creating a channel.

Read more about this resource...
Excellent instructions!
I have a question about removing so much material though. Could you have achieved the same result with deep vertical cuts ( say for example using a large trunk splitter ) up the branch? And wrapping with raffia afterward to protect while it healed over ( and maintained more bark, less scar?).
We are approaching 2017 and I still would like this discussion to proceed. This next spring I have a candidate for bending that would benefit from some other method than channeling ( and leaving a huge scar that could take 10 years of new growth to hide ).
Thanks to all for your mentoring.

Top Bottom