Hedera Helix (English Ivy) #1

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Took this chunk off a tree at a person's house I was doing some yard work for. Essentially a cutting, I tossed it in a pot and figured I would see what happens.

Collection in late June as a cutting and planted in 100% 8822 DE:
2019.06.25.jpg

End of july started to see some new branches and shoots forming. One was in a perfect place for a new leader but I knocked it off accidentally like a flub...2019.07.28.jpg

October status:
2019.10.19.jpg

Intended front. Photo in November 2019:
2019.11.10 - A.jpg

Closer up image:
2019.11.10 - B.jpg

Repotted this spring... before:
2020.03.14 - A.jpg

During: I was able to remove a lot of unwanted lower mass to press the plant to start it's flatter root structure. Had to take some loppers to it. The main trunk is about 1-1/2" wide.
2020.03.14 - B.jpg

Final planting:
2020.03.14 - C.jpg

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It looks like it will make a fun project, and your plan make sense to me but I spent I summer removing English ivy from trees it was killing when I was a teenager and I can’t stand the look of the stuff anymore.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The ivy itself doesnt kill the tree in that, its not parasitic.

It usually can get too heavy and break the branches on weaker trees during winter when covered with snow, or it can shade out the light on branches.

Glad you enjoy the project!

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
True it’s no parasite but it eventually will get so heavy that it pulls trees over.

there is an horrible invasive plant that is quite common here in Oregon, scotch broom, that has beautiful yellow flowers and small leaves. I’m always looking for wine with that perfect truck to dig up.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Liking this as front. Getting an interesting vein forming on the front. I want to try grafting a scion at the top of the tree next year or grow a low sucker near the base of the tree and grow it up the back to be new leader if nothing grows there this year.

20200630_202950.jpg

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Nice idea. I’ve got one with a similar situation of bare trunk and no buds. Not so established with a suitable runner yet, but the idea intrigues me. What are you hoping happens with regards to fusing? Or are you going for a Tanuki type scenario?

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well, this was a low branch so it will definitely fuse over time. I think keeping the tree like this, the branch will "cling" or "hold" to the trunk once its tendrils form. At the very least it will be interesting. I think i can leave wire on through next spring and see how it holds.

Heres some examples of the roots or whatever you call them on even young new green shoots.. hopefully I can remove wire by end of the summer actually:

20200704_143512.jpg

20200704_143537.jpg

Last edited:

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Well, this was a low branch so it will definitely fuse over time. I think keeping the tree like this, the branch will "cling" or "hold" to the trunk once its tendrils form over time. At the very least it will be interesting. I think i can leave wire on through next spring and see how it holds.

Heres some examples of the roots or whatever you call them on even young new green shoots.. hopefully I can remove wire by end of the summer actually:

View attachment 313648

View attachment 313649
Cool man. If it works well, you could even create multiple creepers like a ROR or root over trunk, perhaps. Certainly given me some inspiration, so thanks.

johnbaz

Mame
Reaction score
Ivy is rampant in my back garden, It grew up a pear tree and was a couple of inches thick in just a couple of years!
It was so dense in the middle that a Pigeon built a nest there, It was ages before we realised!!
EcF7tyP.jpg
ljhKJsa.jpg

One of the young!!
1lhWoxW.jpg

I chopped a few inches out of it near the base of the tree, It's not tried getting up again but it's on it's way up a large Oak and a couple of weed trees that sprang up in the hedge (Rowan and Hazel), They need to come down as they'#re starting to block the light!!, The chainsaw may have to come out this week!!

John 👍

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cleaned this up a little and wired a couple branches. I need to make a decision jext year on the right branch. It splits in three at one point. Need to see what happens there. Im mostly happy with the left branch. Hoping for back buds but... doesnt seem like these throw many back buds. I might look into some real world ivy and experiment to see growth patterns and back budding. I might try grafting a cutting from the tree as well.

20201022_201918.jpg
20201022_203043.jpg
20201022_203123.jpg
20201022_203202.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Removed the wire today, and pruned back a little. The new leader vein is solidly attached, so I hope I can get some good growth this year and thicken it up! The other part of the tree is dead, so Ill have to clean that up and maybe try some lime sulfur on it or something to preserve it as best I can. It seems like I have two possible buds at the top, so im going to pull one down and back to fill in the negative space behind the tree, and let the top leader grow upwards.

20210403_162533.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I now have two Ivy's. First one is the one shown so far. I pruned it back to new buds to keep it compact today.

Before:
20210509_111814.jpg

After:
20210509_112924.jpg

I will need to tighten that top little space a bit so it stays tight against the trunk.

The second Ivy:
20210508_083100.jpg

This one is a new variety called Ivy Marie Norberg. One of a kind. We collected her on Thursday night. We are feeding heavily now to get some good growth on her.

henrykiser

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I now have two Ivy's. First one is the one shown so far. I pruned it back to new buds to keep it compact today.

Before:
View attachment 373512

After:
View attachment 373513

I will need to tighten that top little space a bit so it stays tight against the trunk.

The second Ivy:
View attachment 373514

This one is a new variety called Ivy Marie Norberg. One of a kind. We collected her on Thursday night. We are feeding heavily now to get some good growth on her.
Okay I love that you are using english ivy. Your posts make me think again about the possibilities out in the woods in my back yard. Love it!

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I find it a really fun species so far. Backbuds well as long as there is sap flow, takes well to wire seemingly, roots well and is drought tolerant and super hardy... great plant!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score

Before:
View attachment 373512

After:
View attachment 373513

The second Ivy:
View attachment 373514

The first Ivy is fine, the second one is precious. Congratulations! Lots of repotting ahead!

Top Bottom