Hedge Maple: Tips, tricks, and general wisdom.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Last spring I took possession of a nice Hedge Maple with some ...heritage. (Awesome nebari, thick trunk, hollow...) When I brought it home, it was before it had leafed out, and it (and several of those that made the trip with it) appeared healthy but would soon show signs of stress. I remember last year that after it leafed out (from HUGE swollen buds) it didn't do much else the rest of the year ...except succumb to something that caused some of its leaves to dry and fall off. I doubt it was lack of water or too much sun, leaving me to be suspicious that its fungal in nature. This spring, I repotted it out of straight pumice into 1:1:1 LAP mix and pruned some of its lanky branches back. It leafed out with vigor and ...the pattern continues. I've lost a low branch or two and leaves have crisped a bit. After applying some granular systemic it seems to have stopped the problem, ...but I'm not seeing new growth.

Is the growth pattern of hedge maple one (push) and done? Are they treated more like palmatums or tridents? What do you feed them, how much, and how often? Have you found them to be water lovers? Do they scorch in full-sun or do they eat it up? I'd love to learn from your experiences with this species.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
By hedge maple do you mean Acer Campestre (Field maple?) Do you have any pictures of the tree itself?

In the UK they are pretty bullet proof but we rarely get above 25C. I've been growing one for around 20 years now so if it is field maple you want advice about I can chip in.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Have you found them to be water lovers
I've found mine to be a water hog, probably because it's in full sun and I use a relatively free draining soil (50/50 peat moss and perlite). Mine is still pushing new growth since waking up in the spring. I am surprised though that mine have the deepest green color out of all my different species of maples.

Not positive, but I'm pretty sure I get a second round of growth after the summer starts to cool off.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ive had a hedge maple for two seasons now in full sun. Definitely a water hog. Few weeks back i underestimated how much water it was getting from sporadic rain showers and i ended up with a canopy full of leaves with crispy edges. I pruned off the worst ones and been keeping it moist and its not skipped a beat. Definitely pushing some new growth now. I've been wondering myself if these can take defoliation or partial defoliation but haven't found a definite answer. Here is mine as of this afternoon.
IMG_20190624_173038.jpg

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
if these can take defoliation or partial defoliation but haven't found a definite answer.

The answer to that is a definite yes. I regularly defoliate mine, both full and partial as appropriate. As comparisons, I think you can be more aggressive with them (in terms of defoliation frequency) than with Acer palmatum, but less than Tridents - though climate and growing conditions will play an important part in that.

@bwaynef :

Be aware that powdery mildew and fungal issues in general are a problem for this species. A regular preventative spraying regime is required, in my garden at least.
Mine cope with either sun or shade as long as they are getting enough water.
Growth pattern is multiple flushes per year. The first one will give you very long internodes if you let it (you can pinch out the tips like a Palmatum if the tree is at the appropriate stage of development).
Personally I would double the amount of akadama in your mix, but otherwise that's close to what I use for mine.
Regular fertilising like any other tree. For my more refined one, I withhold fertiliser until after the first (and maybe second) flush has hardened off, to discourage over-long internodes and big leaves.
Keeping as many branches on the tree as you can will also help with reducing the spring explosion of growth, by spreading it out more.

@Paulpash has a thread on here with one he has developed which is worth checking out.

This is one of mine this spring (right hand side of the display).

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks @TomB.

I keep mine in full sun and water every day. They issue multiple flushes. Because my tree has a big trunk and nebari the branches need to be in scale and a few wounds needed closing so I fertilized regularly at full strength and added some organic fert. Once you get into refinement then I fertilize rarely - I think I've given it two feeds this year, both after the first flush has hardened and the tree has used all its stored energy.

Internode length on these trees is the biggest thing to overcome. You need as many active buds as possible to absorb the very strong spring push. I'd recommend not doing a 'normal' winter cut back - only removing the bare minimum like stem clusters that will cause knuckles. Come back after it has flushed out, defoliate first, allow it to push leaves all over then cut back. You can also keep excess branching to again absorb some energy with a view to removing later as long as it's not too big. Its ability to heal quickly and callus is on a par with trident maple so pruning wounds from small branches will disappear within a few seasons. It can be grafted easily but this should not be necessary for primary branches as it buds all over the place.

Hope this helps and good luck with your tree.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks Wayne, you have no idea how wonderful it is to see that.
Henceforth, "Al's 'How Wonderful' Mix".

Paul, CWA, and TomB, thanks for the pictures and tips. I'm still at a loss as to what exactly I'm seeing with mine, but at least I've got a better ballpark of what normal should be.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Henceforth, "Al's 'How Wonderful' Mix".

Paul, CWA, and TomB, thanks for the pictures and tips. I'm still at a loss as to what exactly I'm seeing with mine, but at least I've got a better ballpark of what normal should be.
If you get time post a Pic. We might be able to suggest something.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
LAP = Lava Akadama Pumice, right?

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
No, no, no! Thats the point it's been LAP since the fifties. No ones name should be on it.
Bill S from the Globe said something about names not being all that important. Apparently he knew a lot about roses.

LAP = Lava Akadama Pumice, right?
If I'd have said "Boon Mix" would it have been more obvious?

To the rest of you, pictures in a bit.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
For your viewing pleasure. (That's organic fertilizer on the soil. The soil itself is inorganic as mentioned above.) The nebari extends almost to the edge of the pot, btw.

Attachments

• D3438FD1-9504-415A-8273-7FE4B0484198.jpeg
    D3438FD1-9504-415A-8273-7FE4B0484198.jpeg
    169 KB · Views: 103
  • 4C6D92A9-78CC-4743-9B99-BECC3FFC8394.jpeg
    4C6D92A9-78CC-4743-9B99-BECC3FFC8394.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 2F17BC1F-6676-472C-89AE-AE2B9AAE8F49.jpeg
    2F17BC1F-6676-472C-89AE-AE2B9AAE8F49.jpeg
    309.4 KB · Views: 84
  • F978B57F-4B3C-4F9B-BC32-7156211C7B9D.jpeg
    F978B57F-4B3C-4F9B-BC32-7156211C7B9D.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 79
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For your viewing pleasure. (That's organic fertilizer on the soil. The soil itself is inorganic as mentioned above.) The nebari extends almost to the edge of the pot, btw.

Is it possible that the health and vigor of the tree is being affected by the big hollow of deadwood running through the trunk?

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Is it possible that the health and vigor of the tree is being affected by the big hollow of deadwood running through the trunk?
@Walter Pall seems to like big hollows in his maples, and its my understanding that he's had a hand in this particular hollow. Maybe he can chime in.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
When was the hollow created? Have you checked to see if roots directly down from the hollow have been affected? It does look like it's very weak - very little extension - it should be pushing new growth like mad.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
From the look of the leaves, I suspect you've got something fungal going on which is weakening the tree.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The hollow was created before March 14 2018, because that's when I brought it to my house. I repotted it this spring and it was FULL of roots growing in pumice.

Regarding fungus: I've applied Thiomyl (Infuse Granular) last month, and Phyton 27 today.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I'd have said "Boon Mix" would it have been more obvious?
I didn't mean to sound ignorant or anything. I just don't recall hearing that acronym before. Really my only bonsai interactions are with you people here and I dont believe ive come across it in the posts I've read.

I did have a field maple once many years ago. I liked it a lot. Then one day my roommate's dog pulled it off the porch railing and chewed it to bits. I didn't have it long enough to remember any special tricks or tips for it, sorry.

Top Bottom