Hedge Maple: Tips, tricks, and general wisdom.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I didn't mean to sound ignorant or anything. I just don't recall hearing that acronym before. Really my only bonsai interactions are with you people here and I dont believe ive come across it in the posts I've read.
I'm likely the only person lazy enough to denote it as LAP. I was just wondering if I'd said "Boon Mix" would you have known what I was talking about?

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
I think pinching / pruning the first flush is more important for developing shorter internodes; defoliation on its own doesn't cause that. You need to either limit the first extensions, or cut them off and rely on a shorter second flush. I don't think that's unique to Acer campestre.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Walter Pall seems to like big hollows in his maples, and its my understanding that he's had a hand in this particular hollow. Maybe he can chime in.

See this : https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/field-maple-4.38761/
and attached Field Maple #1

Both trees seemed too boring to me and I on purpose made huge holes into their trunk. See the results.

That trees suffer and even die from big holes in their trunk is a myth. That hoes 'must' be filled on broadleaved trees, deciduous or not, is a myth.

1.jpg2.jpg2002-04-DSCN3003v.jpg2019-03-TSA_5584ofw.jpg2019-03-TSA_5585ofw.jpg

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Both trees seemed too boring to me and I on purpose made huge holes into their trunk. See the results.

That trees suffer and even die from big holes in their trunk is a myth. That hoes 'must' be filled on broadleaved trees, deciduous or not, is a myth.

View attachment 249128View attachment 249129View attachment 249130View attachment 249131View attachment 249132

Utterly astounded by field maple 4 there! Awesome.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
That holes 'must' be filled on broadleaved trees, deciduous or not, is a myth.

True : that reminds me of a programme I saw on Arte, the "story" of an old maple in Britain. David Attenborough. He explained that the inside of the tree was actually dead. I can't find a link to the video.

If the dead part of the trunk, it won't risk to infect or damage the living tissues around, so, yes, deadwood is a natural feature on some trees.

Then, if done artificially, it must look credible. Walter's Acer campestre is a very good example of that.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

View attachment 249128View attachment 249129View attachment 249130View attachment 249131View attachment 249132

@Walter Pall Can you comment how you address the large holes when you reach the base. Do you leave some viable tissue to ensure there is no dead wood in direct contact with the soil to prevent faster rotting?

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Walter Pall Can you comment how you address the large holes when you reach the base. Do you leave some viable tissue to ensure there is no dead wood in direct contact with the soil to prevent faster rotting?

I don't prevent the deadwood from rotting. it will anyway. By the secrete of compartmentation which has no yet leaked through to the bonsai community a big hole in the trunk will only rot to certain point and then stop. The tree will NOT die from continuous rotting. You can use wood hardener to preserve the dead wood for a while. But it will rot away sooner or,later. Therefore try to avoid any jins. A jin invariably will rot a way whatever you do.

That tree die if you do not 'treat' the rotting core is a bonsai myth. Some old landscape gardeners also carry this myth.

Do NOT seal the deadwood with anything. Instead of protection it, what you think, it is getting worse. What is causing rotting anyway? Bacteria, fungi and critters eat the wood (Dead wood only!). What do these like as environment? Steady light moisture, warm cosy dark undisturbed. How do you crate this environment? By sealing a wound. Under the seal they love it.

See a European beech and a Balkan beech with very large hollows:

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/european-beech-7.38891/

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/balkan-beech-1.36030/#post-656365

Top Bottom