Hedge Taxus

JTGJr25

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My grandmother had asked me a while ago to remove a hedge row of yews from her front garden. I had assessed them many times seeing if any of them were worth collecting for development but I really didn't think any of them were worth the time. However, the first one I removed proved me wrong. It had great rooting with many small fibrous roots really close to the trunk and a great root flare to boot (probably due to the fact that another yew was removed from next to it the year before). Even though its the heat of the summer I couldn't resist.

All potted up with most of the old soil removed it shows great promise. I was very rough with it being I hadn't planned on keeping it but even so I think it has a good chance of making it. If not, I only invested a little sweat so no big deal.

A bottle cap used for scale.

Tom

Attachments

• collected yew.jpg
    collected yew.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 118
  • collected yew 2.jpg
    collected yew 2.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 103

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Looks like the trick is gonna be finding the line you want the trunk to take. There are befinately enough possabilities.

JTGJr25

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks treebeard, I thought so too. Finding the right line Dwight, like you said, will be more like choosing one of the endless possibilities it has. I'm trying not to get too attached because it's still up in the air wether or not it will live but I can't help but be excited by the quality I found in a seemingly useless hedge.

I dug out another one yesterday which I think is even nicer, however it had much less fine rootage. I ran out of soil so I put it in the ground in a shady spot and I'm just hoping for the best with both of them.

Tom

Last edited:
Top Bottom