Hedge to bonsai at work place

Nor Cal AC

Mame
Reaction score
Today at one of our facilities I noticed a small square hedge in front of the building. Upon closer inspection I noticed a beautiful trunk shape. After spending 45 minutes trimming away, this is what I came up with. Is it bad that I'm considering coming in on my day off and digging it up. And replacing it with a new azalea or other shrub. It was planted when the building was built 50 years ago.IMG_20210603_191619.jpg

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Nice bush, but with those flowers it's not an azalea. It vaguely looks like a ceaolanthus lilac or manzanita--neither of which transplant well. I'd reccomend trying to ID it before digging. If it's something that tolerates rootwork then you're good to go, but if it's a trouble species, it might not be worth the effort.

Nor Cal AC

Mame
Reaction score
Nice bush, but with those flowers it's not an azalea. It vaguely looks like a ceaolanthus lilac or manzanita--neither of which transplant well. I'd reccomend trying to ID it before digging. If it's something that tolerates rootwork then you're good to go, but if it's a trouble species, it might not be worth the effort.
I have 10 acres of manzanita on my property. Definitely not that. Thank you for the insight. I will do some research before I dig. I am unsure of the species. It has loose shredie bark like an old juniper. Small soft leaves. a cluster pink flower.????

Nor Cal AC

Mame
Reaction score
I have the opportunity now, to dig this plant up. We are in Northern California and it's been 90 plus degrees lately. Do you all think it has a chance to survive the process this time of year?

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have the opportunity now, to dig this plant up. We are in Northern California and it's been 90 plus degrees lately. Do you all think it has a chance to survive the process this time of year?
Man! I wouldn't try it until the heat is off. It's in a good spot and not going anywhere or eminent construction project. I can't think of a worse time to dig up a tree. A Fall extraction would be much kinder.

Top Bottom