Heller's Holly Question

CamdenJim

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I have a well-established Heller's Holly (ilex crenata 'Helleri') in my yard that is annoyingly placed and decidedly seedy looking. But it looks like a great possibility for potting up and working with as a bonsai.

Can I expect it to back bud much if I cut some of it back to old wood? Should I cut back only some of the greener limbs?

I'm not afraid to experiment with this one. It's annoying in its place now, and a much nicer looking Indica azalea ('Formosa') needs room to grow.

But if anyone has experience with these plants I'd appreciate a little advice. Perhaps I can keep it and have both the Helleri and the Formosa :)

Speedy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a/
They do back bud very well. You should have no problem cutting it back, but I would wait and do it at the end of winter. The branches do take a while to thicken.

I have been told that older Hollies don't like their roots messed with, but if you need the room anyway then there shouldn't be a problem.

CamdenJim

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Thanks!
I thought I would remove it to a box in November, then cut it back in late February.
Or should I wait until the end of winter and do it all then?

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Or should I wait until the end of winter and do it all then?

Yup. Because it will not like its roots messed with. Get a huge rootball.

Top Bottom