Hello all! Ficus root pruning question.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hello all! This is my first post here as I've been reading and learning for the past few weeks. I am pretty new to Bonsai and last week I bought a Ficus from a bonsai nursery, I had to trip a lot of roots off because the roots were growing very long outside of the pot and attaching to the bench at the nursery. When I was done potting the tree I was not feeling the 'birdnest" looking roots that are still there but I am afraid of over-pruning the roots even more as I've taken about 50% of the root mass already and Im afraid if I cut more, the tree wont survive. Also anyone know what type of Ficus this is ? Pics are below. Thanks in advance. Tommy

Attachments

• ficus bonsai1.jpg
    ficus bonsai1.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 58
  • ficus bonsai 2.jpg
    ficus bonsai 2.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 64

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There are hundreds of ficus species and many have very similar leaves so it is hard to tell from that photo. A close up of a single leaf and the growing tips may help someone narrow down the possibilities but to be really accurate on Ficus ID you need fruit.
I would suggest leaving it at that for this season and have another go in late spring when the temps warm up. Warm weather is best for any ficus work. The ones I am familiar with can have roots reduced by up to 90% if necessary. They also layer really asy so you could just bury it a little deeper to get a new layer of lateral roots then cut of the entire mess below.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Airlayer sounds good.

There seems to be more than one tree in there?

More pics!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
There are hundreds of ficus species and many have very similar leaves so it is hard to tell from that photo. A close up of a single leaf and the growing tips may help someone narrow down the possibilities but to be really accurate on Ficus ID you need fruit.
I would suggest leaving it at that for this season and have another go in late spring when the temps warm up. Warm weather is best for any ficus work. The ones I am familiar with can have roots reduced by up to 90% if necessary. They also layer really asy so you could just bury it a little deeper to get a new layer of lateral roots then cut of the entire mess below.

Thank you for your time , here’s another pic of the leaves

Attachments

• EB1344B8-374F-43A3-A2F2-AC334CA4E5B3.jpeg
    EB1344B8-374F-43A3-A2F2-AC334CA4E5B3.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 34
Top Bottom