Hello and need help

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello everyone. New member here, and would like to receive some styling help on these 4 bonsais. I have them for awhile but didn't do any training or major pruning on these yet. I know quite a lot of info on bonsai and a lot of hands on wiring, pruning etc but mostly for junipers etc. I have not yet figure out how I want these to look, so and help on best styling options for these are much appreciated.

weeping 1.jpg weeping style malpighia barbados cherry bonsai

shohin 1.jpg shohin sea hibiscus bonsai #1

shohin 2.jpg shohin sea hibiscus bonsai #2

varigated.jpg variegated schefflera bonsai

Thank you, any rough sketches, basic outline ideas are much appreciated. I just wish I could have labeled the branches by number to make it easier.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chitown?

What's up?

Welcome to Crazy!

The cherry needs to grow...I dig it.

The Hibs got a good start...
The first one could use that straight section cut out or cut down.

The Schef....I'm not into Schef.

Sorce

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Welcome!

For the schefflera: I don't get those trees and I definitively don't get how to make a nice bonsai with other than multi-trunks.
I would be very interested to see the development of this one ;)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the welcome. Hopefully one day these would look great. Not a fan of the schefflera myself, dad left it in my care for a while. I see some of you guys are in the midwest near me. Any of you guys been to Hidden Gardens this year, this year's yamadori stock from Randy Knight from Rand is incredible?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Welcome from the far north Chicago suburbs - actually I am half way between Chicago and Milwaukee, and make Milwaukee my "bonsai home". Hidden Gardens is a great place, but a good 50 miles from my house, I know some of the people involved, and they are "good people" and know their stuff.

All your trees are young. If you want "Fat Trunks" like the yamadori you've seen at Hidden Gardens, you will need to let these grow. The Malpighia seems to have a slender trunk, the more branches and foliage it has, the quicker it will "trunk up", so don't try to style it yet.

Once you style a tree and put it in a small pot, they growth of the diameter of the trunk really does stop. You need to keep them growing in nursery pots until the trunk is the diameter you want.

Top Bottom