Hello and Thank You

ViLLyN

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello All,
I'm brand spankin new to Bonsai but have been interested for years. Ive been reading through the forums here and already can see that there is a great wealth of information. I just wanted to say hi and thanks in advance for all info. I plan on getting a few plants to get started and do a little experimenting with. I appreciate any rookie advice you guys have. I'll post some pics when I get them tomorrow. Anything in particular I should look for?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome to the forum. No one will be able to give advice unless we know where you live so please update your profile. Picking a tree for someone is not easy. What are you interested in?

ViLLyN

Seedling
Reaction score
Ok. Its been updated. Thanks.
I hear the Juniper plants are good for beginners. I like plants with smaller foliage. The rain trees look nice too. I don't really like the big leafy plants.

ViLLyN

Seedling
Reaction score
Are you going to a bonsai nursery or to the local box store?
Local box store. I recently visited a nursery with a lot of nice plants but very pricey. Just looking for a few plants to get started with.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Welcome aboard!

They will tell you to look from the bottom on up.

Nice surface roots?

Base have a good flare?

Trunk have good curve or interesting angle?

If you don't see at least one of those characteristic, than it might not make for a good starter tree/plant.

Tiki

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Find a club, there's like 20 in Fl. Gotta be one near you. Excellent place to get free/cheap material to experiment with. Plus get to meet like minded people, who are usually willing to help with your needs.
Juniper? Meh if you must. Ficus in your climate will give you more to play with. Plus with Fl's 2.5 growing seasons per year, plenty of trial and error.
Find a club near you and hit it up!
http://bonsai-bsf.com

ViLLyN

Seedling
Reaction score
Will do. Thanks for the tips guys. Btw, how come most info says Junipers are good for beginners but it seems that they aren't too popular with serious enthusiasts?

ViLLyN

Seedling
Reaction score
Find a club, there's like 20 in Fl. Gotta be one near you. Excellent place to get free/cheap material to experiment with. Plus get to meet like minded people, who are usually willing to help with your needs.
Juniper? Meh if you must. Ficus in your climate will give you more to play with. Plus with Fl's 2.5 growing seasons per year, plenty of trial and error.
Find a club near you and hit it up!
http://bonsai-bsf.com
Thanks for the link! I'll definitely check it out

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most trees take 50 years for the heartwood to mature and become durable [ e.g Teak ]

The way junipers are normally exhibited is with some form of whitened wood. Do a google.

There is however the - Phoenix Graft - where one adds on a durable piece of carved whitened wood.
Hope this helps.
Good Day
Anthony

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Junipers are good for beginners but it seems that they aren't too popular with serious enthusiasts?
I don't know why most info says that.
I myself love junipers. They are tough given you do your work when you're supposed to. They lend themselves to every style except broom. If you miss a watering they don't freak like say a maple or elm. The other thing is anyone can get one. I have 3 types. Procumbens,parsons and shimpaku. They do great here even though winters are tough. But the same ones can be used where you live too.
@sawgrass lives in Florida and does all kinds of things with them.

Little stub

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Local box store. I recently visited a nursery with a lot of nice plants but very pricey. Just looking for a few plants to get started with.
Hi, try D&L nursery Ocala Florida. Pre bonsai are reasonably priced. For zone 9

ViLLyN

Seedling
Reaction score
Will do. Thanks. I went over to Wigerts Nursery in Fort Myers but they were a little pricey. Very nice Bonsai though!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Also check out https://www.meehansminiatures.com. They have very reasonably priced pre-bonsai. They are really nice people. If you don't see what you like in their on-line catalog, or need a suggestion, e-mail them and they will help you.

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Here in Florida, I've found junipers a little tough for me. Ficus, premnas, Brazilian Rain Trees, these are what I'd be looking at.

ViLLyN

Seedling
Reaction score
I really like the Brazilian Rain Trees but haven't found any yet that weren't super expensive.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I really like the Brazilian Rain Trees but haven't found any yet that weren't super expensive.
Try Meehans, I posted the link above. They have one in a 4" pot for $10.75, and a 6" pot for around $22.00. Minimum order is $25, but I'm sure you'll find something else there, you need.;)

ViLLyN

Seedling
Reaction score
Try Meehans, I posted the link above. They have one in a 4" pot for $10.75, and a 6" pot for around $22.00. Minimum order is $25, but I'm sure you'll find something else there, you need.;)
Thanks Carol. I'll check it out

Top Bottom