Hello BonsaiNut!

cornfed

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Since I'm kind of keeping this thread as my beginners journal... Here is the "farmadori" I collected yesterday.

20210402_163956.jpg

I learned some things.

First, make sure you have all your wood boxes made before you decide to go hunting.

Second, make sure your soil is ready before you go hunting. I didn't want to use all my expensive pumice, so I potted in a mix of mostly pine bark with some grit and peat fines.

Third, make sure you allot an entire day to the enterprise. It takes longer than you think.

Fourth, I need a better solution to wrapping the rootball. It was windy, which made it hard. I tried to wrap in sphagnum moss sheets soaked in superthrive solution and wrap in garbage sacks.

cornfed

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's gonna dip down to 30 again tonight, so I'm bringing this maple inside.

It has not yet recovered from my mistake the last frost night, as you can see.

But I do see a couple new buds growing. If I cut off the sick leaves, would it encourage the new leaves to grow?

20210413_191155.jpg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I cut off the sick leaves, would it encourage the new leaves to grow?
The leaves (I am not sure what you are seeing and why you call them sick!?) are capturing light energy and therefor aiding the plant in settling in / recover. Leave the on.

cornfed

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The leaves (I am not sure what you are seeing and why you call them sick!?) are capturing light energy and therefor aiding the plant in settling in / recover. Leave the on.

This is a closer shot. Weak. Wilty. Burned on the edges. From being left out in a frost two weeks ago.

But I will leave them for now and see what the spring brings.

20210414_081257.jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This is a closer shot. Weak. Wilty. Burned on the edges. From being left out in a frost two weeks ago.

But I will leave them for now and see what the spring brings.

View attachment 368038
I see the crisp... but the leaves, even without the crisp are concerning me..Almost looks like new growth being deformed part-way through “fully opening”.
You see this in fungal infections/certain pests..

This minor deformity MAY be caused by the stated frost stress DURING the “fully opening” process... (I could be totally wrong)

Were those “misshapen” leaves shaped like that before?

Did the frost “change” them?

Just want the best for you and your tree.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Agreed... in the first pic the leaves just looked a little stressed.

I thought the same thing.

cornfed

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is what it looked like the morning after the frost two weeks ago.

Ultimately, it was a mistake to leave it out and now I'm just hoping it wasn't a fatal mistake.

20210401_120928.jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This is what it looked like the morning after the frost two weeks ago.

Ultimately, it was a mistake to leave it out and now I'm just hoping it wasn't a fatal mistake.

View attachment 368039
It appears those young, tender leaves where just a little frost damaged while opening... I wouldn’t be too nervous.

Top Bottom