Hello BonsaiNut!

cornfed

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
View attachment 363127

I ended up meeting another Member of my local Bonsai Society and bought some cuttings.

Two Seiju Chinese Elms.
And one Kashima Maple.
Maybe... It got to 30 last night and there is some frost on the buds... I may have been too overzealous in acquiring trees early...

cornfed

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What do we do!? Pray? Bring them inside? Learn from our mistake? Haha.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hahaha!!!

I believe you are underestimating your trees.

The guys i put on TOP of the pit, UNDER tables were just my recent repots... gotta protect recently disturbed ROOTS from frost/freeze... also my Azaleas and Deutzia came inside..

Seed trays came in JUST in case.

It’s almost over, cornfed.

🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My JMs came in too.. but not other acers... Your Kashima would be my only worry.. and you are MOST likely Juuuust fine.
🤓

cornfed

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you for the clarity. I only slip potted those cuttings last Saturday, didn't touch the roots at all. I think I'll just pray.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thank you for the clarity. I only slip potted those cuttings last Saturday, didn't touch the roots at all. I think I'll just pray.
I think you’ll be ok.. that fence, ALSO does alot more for you than you realize

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
See outside temps by me are 30.. RIGHT now.
C47C7FEE-3E24-424E-983E-8DBD9C48CDFD.png
But in my “apocalypse area” (3 1/2 walls around... mostly no roof) It is...10D493A7-70EE-4B41-8DE2-CAF665FDC8CD.jpeg
So I can set back up for the day.66242AEB-603B-4562-A3A5-3B36A51AE2CD.jpeg98B65B55-1AA6-4200-A8C8-B8BA73B28456.jpeg

cornfed

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ahhhh... I'm going to get a weather station for my area soon. I'm trading some custom cookie cutters for an industrial one, strangely enough.

Wife sent this shot. The frost seems gone. The soil was frozen this morning though... I have a lot of holes in that pot...

20210326_101652.jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Ahhhh... I'm going to get a weather station for my area soon. I'm trading some custom cookie cutters for an industrial one, strangely enough.

Wife sent this shot. The frost seems gone. The soil was frozen this morning though... I have a lot of holes in that pot...

View attachment 363599
Wow, yeah... that’s more “burst” than I have going on.... but that’s cause if I drive 13-17 miles inland, I’m in 5a... so I’m BAAARELY 5b..

You’ll want to protect plants with buds like THAT from frost and freeze.. from now on. :)

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
a weather station for my area soon.
Like a unit?

The Orchard, in Casco (9 miles inland) lets me copy data from theirs every once and a while... it kind of looks like the unit from “Twister”... what was “her” name again?

cornfed

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah, he works for for an international company that sells sensors to monitor everything to help farmers make decisions on when their windows to spray are and such.

He said he can fashion me one out of spare parts, but it wouldn't have a sensor in each pot, just the general area.

He sells to farmers, vineyard managers, golf course managers, etc.

He runs a podcast called United We Ag and I have convinced him to focus on Bonsai for a future episode. "The intersection of Ag and Art." He is working with the guy from Bonsai-En on a potential interview.

cornfed

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If we have frost threats over the next week, would it be enough to move the trees close to the house (for the radiant heat) and cover them over night?

thatguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I started my bonsai journey last year so I can pass along some of the things I found most helpful. You're already reaching out to local members and finding active people in the hobby in your area which is great! Take all the information you can get, but be selective/don't believe something to be true just because someone told you. Look at their trees, evaluate the info based on what others have said, etc. Get your eyes on as many good bonsai as you can. Whether in books, online, or preferably in person. It can be challenging but it is worth it to have the mental repertoire when you go style your own trees or source new ones. Watering is hard. Especially when you have a bunch of newly acquired trees in nursery soil or 15 different types of soil. Try to get them all into a soil you know when next repotting season comes around. As your knowledge expands experiment, try, and learn from what the trees tell you. Oh it didn't seem to like when I did x or man this tree is thriving because I did y. And moreover just be patient, with your trees and yourself. It doesn't take a long time to have fun in bonsai but great bonsai do take a long time. Easy, instant, and quick rarely equate in bonsai no matter how many YouTube videos tell you so.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If we have frost threats over the next week, would it be enough to move the trees close to the house (for the radiant heat) and cover them over night?
zone-local species typically know how to handle spring night frosts. If sheltered from wind & early sun, you should not have a problem with local species.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
zone-local species typically know how to handle spring night frosts. If sheltered from wind & early sun, you should not have a problem with local species.
Yeeeeah..... i wish I knew this LAST year... I “stepped” ALL temperates. 🤦🏽‍♂️

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I started my bonsai journey last year so I can pass along some of the things I found most helpful. You're already reaching out to local members and finding active people in the hobby in your area which is great! Take all the information you can get, but be selective/don't believe something to be true just because someone told you. Look at their trees, evaluate the info based on what others have said, etc. Get your eyes on as many good bonsai as you can. Whether in books, online, or preferably in person. It can be challenging but it is worth it to have the mental repertoire when you go style your own trees or source new ones. Watering is hard. Especially when you have a bunch of newly acquired trees in nursery soil or 15 different types of soil. Try to get them all into a soil you know when next repotting season comes around. As your knowledge expands experiment, try, and learn from what the trees tell you. Oh it didn't seem to like when I did x or man this tree is thriving because I did y. And moreover just be patient, with your trees and yourself. It doesn't take a long time to have fun in bonsai but great bonsai do take a long time. Easy, instant, and quick rarely equate in bonsai no matter how many YouTube videos tell you so.
Very well put..

If someone TOLD the gotama to meditate under the bodhi tree... he would never have gained “enlightenment”.,

If someone TOLD Siddhartha to walk amongst the world before letting his ego die by the river.. HE would have never “got there”...

There are MANY paths to ones “goals”... Every individual’s will look different.

🤓

Top Bottom