Hello everyone. And a question.

JLauritsen

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just wanted to give a quick introduction to myself and say I am excited to be here.

I've been thinking about getting into bonsai for years now. Read some books and even bought some tools to trim my mother-in-laws bonsai that she received as a gift one year... She killed it the next year. I never got a chance to trim it. Though she did give me the tiny pot it came in.

So now, I am in it for myself. After finding no sign of any bonsai nurseries within a two hour drive, I decided to check out Home Depot and Lowes. Decision went to Lowes. I came home with a wisteria, crape myrtle, and a dwarf holly. I'll get some photos up later. I may have jumped the gun on the trimming, but I'll find that out later.

I figure those 3 are best as outdoor bonsai. I was planning on getting one more as a permanent indoor bonsai. I have a place I can keep it next to a north facing window. (no direct light, all indirect sunlight) I have kept other plants there with great success. I know I could do a Jade and Fukien tea indoors. Are ther any others that would do well? Sadly I might have to buy one online... Not ideal, any recomdations as to good places to buy online?

Oh and sorry if I seem a bit over excited, just finally starting something I have thought about for years.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Just wanted to give a quick introduction to myself and say I am excited to be here.

I've been thinking about getting into bonsai for years now. Read some books and even bought some tools to trim my mother-in-laws bonsai that she received as a gift one year... She killed it the next year. I never got a chance to trim it. Though she did give me the tiny pot it came in.

So now, I am in it for myself. After finding no sign of any bonsai nurseries within a two hour drive, I decided to check out Home Depot and Lowes. Decision went to Lowes. I came home with a wisteria, crape myrtle, and a dwarf holly. I'll get some photos up later. I may have jumped the gun on the trimming, but I'll find that out later.

I figure those 3 are best as outdoor bonsai. I was planning on getting one more as a permanent indoor bonsai. I have a place I can keep it next to a north facing window. (no direct light, all indirect sunlight) I have kept other plants there with great success. I know I could do a Jade and Fukien tea indoors. Are ther any others that would do well? Sadly I might have to buy one online... Not ideal, any recomdations as to good places to buy online?

Oh and sorry if I seem a bit over excited, just finally starting something I have thought about for years.

Welcome!

A Jade would probably be your best bet for an area that gets no indirect sunlight. Even Ficus like to have some direct light, so I'd steer away from that. They'd get too temperamental in that kind of a spot.

Just realize that while there are trees that do fine indoors, all trees/plants would like some time outdoors in the summer to recover from their indoor period.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You should be excited!! We're glad you are. Soak in as much as you can. Learn by trial and error, find out how things grow. Kill a few and then learn some patience, just like the rest of us!!

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Make a basic bench for your trees. If you can to keep them elevated on some decking planks it'll make maintenance, pruning, watering and spotting problems much easier. If they are on the floor they are vulnerable to pests, pets, kids & animals that might want a piece of your little tree.

Top Bottom