Hello everyone Im a new member and have a few questions:)

lucas

Seedling
Reaction score
I bought a Zelkova Schneideriana bonsai a week ago. Its 8 years old and has been training for 5 years. It needed to be repotted. So I did that. Its still looks good!I have it in a window that gets good light in the afeternoon, but on cloudy day I still want to give it light. I dont want to get a big t5 or florecent tube fixture. Its only about 8 inches tall. So can I use a regular clf, the curly ones,or get a full spectrum one? How many watts should it be? Any other lighting tip would be helpful also!
I am also wondering about watering tips. Its in about a 5in deep pot that is 7in wide and 9in long. I used lava rock on the bottom layer, than a bonsai soil, then a layer of the little brownish rock/sand kind of stuff on top. Any watering tips would also be very helpful. I really want my bonsai to thrive and do well! Ive always liked bonsai, but this is my first! Thank you for any information on my Zelkova!! I can posts pics if that helps!

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
trees go out side ....
bonsai ARE NOT indoor plants ....
take it outside ...

NO you can not grow it in doors .... no matter what the people who sold it to you told you ...

its a little late to have repotted a zelkova ... there is a good chance you have stressed it ... find a club and join it... learn the basics of bonsai and tree horticulture ...

did I mention that bonsai are grown outdoors?

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
ok now that we have that out of the way ....

welcome to the forums.... sorry for the brow beating but its the first lesson most people have to learn about bonsai....

as for your tree.... pics are prolly good.... basicly since you repotted so late hopefully it will survive .... find a partially shaded spot and place it there (outside remember) ....

in regards to watering .... if its in free draining bonsai soil and depending on how stressed it is....you can basicly water it every day.... make sure the soil stays moist... not wet...

lucas

Seedling
Reaction score
I plan on taking it outdoors too when the weather allows it. Ive seen alot of bonsai trees indoors. I dont understand why they cant be grown indoors under the right conditions?

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I plan on taking it outdoors too when the weather allows it. Ive seen alot of bonsai trees indoors. I dont understand why they cant be grown indoors under the right conditions?

in our climate ... (yours and mine) it is always appropriate for bonsai to be outdoors ... especially Zelkova ....

bonsai that you see in doors are not being grown there... they are on display ( at least professional bonsai... the crap in stores and movies is a lie ) .... we bring trees indoors to display them for short periods of time (no more than 3 days) .... there are a few species of trees that can be grown in doors... they are VERY VERY specialized and limited .... in general they are atypical of most traditional bonsai .... (ficus being the most common example)

there is several orders of magnitude difference in light levels and conditions between one side of the window and the other... and trees ... belong on the outside portion of the glass ....

lucas

Seedling
Reaction score
Even with the cold nasty weather this week i should take it outside? should I wait till it gets a little nicer? When I transplanted it I didnt cut roots, so i dont think it will be to stressed, but Ive never done bonsai, so mabye i just killed it:(

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Even with the cold nasty weather this week i should take it outside? should I wait till it gets a little nicer? When I transplanted it I didnt cut roots, so i dont think it will be to stressed, but Ive never done bonsai, so mabye i just killed it:(

not cutting roots is good.... Zelkova are tough.... I keep mine outside all the time .... 24/7/365 even when its covered in snow and frozen ..... if you are concerned about a late frost... place the tree under an eve to protect it from frost .... but as night time temperatures are holding at above 40 for the most part... you should be alright ... protect it from wind as well .... but it still needs to be outside ....

if you don't take it outside... it will never get the amount of light required to become strong and grow well ...

lucas

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you! Im sure I will come up with some more questions:)

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
you are certainly welcome .... and remember rule #1 .... have fun and enjoy yourself and your trees....

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8

Your tree should be outside in all kinds of weather -- rain, snow, sleet, hot, cold and freezing. Trees grow OUTDOORS.

Only tropical species can be gown inside and even they will be happier outside when temperatures permit. NEVER move a tree in and ot then in and out then in and out. That only exacerbates the problems.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You have gotten good info from those two, if you want your tree to live, follow thier lead.

lucas

Seedling
Reaction score
So I put it outside today and it got soaked is that ok? Its in a pretty well draining pot. Im still worried about leaving it out in the rain and cold, but I understand its a tree! Not a house plant. How about fertilizer? I bought a special bonsai kind. How often should I use it? its 7-9-5. Here are some pics. it was kinda getting darker when i got off work. Ill take better ones next time:)076.jpg074.jpg075.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Welcome, and congratulations for keeping it outside! If rain sticks around for a few days, prop the pot up a 1/4" or so toward one side with block of wood or rock so water will drain better. Feeding...1x week throughout the growing season is a good starting point. No need to buy special bonsai fertilizer next time. Most anything will do.

lucas

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you! Im really trying not to mess anything up! If theres any other good advice you have let me know:) Please and thank you!

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ask yourself this question. "Where were trees before man, and his buildings came along?" Answer; The lived outdoors of course. ;)

Don't be afraid of the weather elements your tree endures. Trees are born from nature, not your living room coffee table. Now it's a given fact that there are trees that are not well adapted to certain climates, and some will try to cheat nature by keeping them indoors in areas not suited for the tree. Therefore, you should try to maintain those trees that are well suited for your state's climate.

I would recommend you check out books on native flora of the Pacific Northwest. Beware of the labels they include with mallsai. And if you're tree has any glued on pebbles, remove them immediately. You would never be able to check soil moisture if that were the case.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
as this was labeled a zelkova and looks very much like a chinese elm.... I have a good idea who the importer might have been (it seems in a particular part of china these are called zelkova for some reason) ....

the tree will do great in this climate outdoors .... when reading about horticulture etc for this tree... you can focus on technique, growth rate, growth habit consistent with chinese elm ... should serve you well

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And when it warms up it will grow like a weed, which makes it fun as your first bonsai because you get to prune almost weekly.

Top Bottom