Hello everyone. New here!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello everyone. I created a account here and never posted, just lurked. However, here I am, my first post. Also, just a quick FYI, regardless of my name I am a guy. Just so know one is confused. :)

Now! My name is Brant, and I have been interested in gardening all 25 years of my life! Well, my love of plants started around the ten year old mark. I have been surrounded all my life by family who loved gardening and of course that influenced and blossomed my love for plants as well. I have successfully grown all kinds of plants but have recently taken a interest in the art of bonsai.

I have read and read over these forums as well as articles on the internet and I plan in purchasing my first bonsai tree this week. I can only grow indoors so I believe my only option is a ficus. My main focus is to keep the tree alive and then go from there. I look forward to meeting you all, and if you have any other suggestions for a first time ficus as a bonsai aside from the ginseng ficus, please let me know! Thank you!

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Willow leaf ficus is among the most foolproof.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I no longer raise tropicals, but when I had them, nerifolia (willow leaf) was among my favorite...until I tried a Green Island. They tolerate lower light inside, and are more resistant to scale infestations than nerifolia.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a single willow leaf, it's been very easy to deal with. I also have a Brazilian rain tree, that I find effortless as well, although both of these trees do go outside during summer. I do have an olive that I overwinter inside, but if you can't take it out in the summer, I don't know how well it would do for you long term.
BTW Welcome!

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Welcome. I see you are in Raleigh. Raleigh has a very active Bonsai organization with many very experienced folks who are more than willing to share. And beginning in a couple of weeks there will be a series of beginners classes. Check out the RBS at http://www.trianglebonsai.com/.

Reaction score
Hi i would like to inform you that i am Austin Clarke here. I want to some professional discussion so i join here.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome to BNut Lotus. I have a couple of tiger bark ficus I just got a month or so ago. I am still learning about them but so far, they seem pretty easy to deal with. You are probably going to want to consider supplemental lighting for when you have them inside. Search through the threads in the tropical section, there is lots of info.

Hi i would like to inform you that i am Austin Clarke here. I want to some professional discussion so i join here.

Welcome Austin, you might want to start your own thread instead of hijacking Lotus' thread.
You should know, most of us here are not professional and many of us are new and learning. There are quite a few advanced hobbists and a small number of professionals that do post from time to time. If youre looking for basic to advanced discussions on bonsai, youve come to the right place.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I no longer raise tropicals, but when I had them, nerifolia (willow leaf) was among my favorite...until I tried a Green Island. They tolerate lower light inside, and are more resistant to scale infestations than nerifolia.
I have to agree that Green Island is more forgiving than Nerifolia. I have both and Nerifolia drops its leaves when you sneeze at it (not really) but it is very temperamental.

I have a single willow leaf, it's been very easy to deal with. I also have a Brazilian rain tree, that I find effortless as well, although both of these trees do go outside during summer.
I separated a Brazilian Rain Tree (BRT) air layer around mid-November and it dropped all its leaves. I over wintered it inside my garage under T8 light and it grew new sets of leaves really well. They are light in color still and not sure if they will ever turn dark green as they do outside but read they are great candidates for indoor growing.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thank you everyone for the welcomes and responses. I purchased a Ficus bonsai, I believe it is a Ficus Microcarpa, but not the Ginseng type. I posted a picture of it in the tropicals section. Once spring time comes I'm going to need a lot of advice about pruning, etc. Thanks again! :)

Top Bottom