Hello everyone ' new member here.

Paintby#'s

Sapling
Reaction score
Want to say Ive admire the world of bonsai and have been wanting to be a part of the fulfillment it offers for some time now. So for the past couple of months I've placed alot of time reading and watching. Taking in anything bonsai :) and glad to find you guys here. I must say I'm a bit excited about it all as I read thru all the knowledge your forums have to offer :) so i will continue to study and try not to bug you guy's to much im located in California about a hour East of Sanfransisco.
I'm old and still paintby#''s lol .
Best regards to all.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is there any particular aspect of bonsai that interests you most? When you say, "the fulfilment it offers" are you talking about a feeling of peace and focus as you trim a tree or something? Do you enjoy taking a piece of rough material and transform it into a more refined 'bonsai'? Is it just admiring a fully styled, finished tree that evokes a sense of age and overcoming affliction, elements, etc.? A flowering tree where you see nothing but the color of the petals? Do you prefer tropical or more temperature outdoor ones? Have you bought a prestyled tree or maybe just a nursery shrub and looking for styling advice? Tell us more about what you have/ want to have and what you know/ want to know. Also, I'm sure you know this hobby is addicting so be prepared!

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
...and please every update your profile with your location so everyone will be able to give you better advice according to your climate/ region. I know you mentioned it in your original post but it is easier if we can always see it under your avatar. Welcome!

Paintby#'s

Sapling
Reaction score
Good evening plant.Dr. if I may answer Yes in short to the first few of your quotes and some time soon have the means of materials, tools and knowledge so to answer yes in the later by starting my own Bonsai. I happen to find a some stock pines from my local flea market if i can call it stock ! I purchased all he had like 5 and he could not tell me exactly what they are maybe I could post pictures of them for that answer. I would love to have a old Bonsai maybe some day but that alone would not fulfill so needless to say as most would I'm afraid the bug has stung my spirit and soul.

Paintby#'s

Sapling
Reaction score
...and please every update your profile with your location so everyone will be able to give you better advice according to your climate/ region. I know you mentioned it in your original post but it is easier if we can always see it under your avatar. Welcome!

OK thank you . Sorry if I seem short on my response in trying to answer you .

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes please put up pics of your trees! One of the best things you cwn do as you as you get into this is find a club near you to join. You can go to https://www.bonsaiempire.com it has a map of the clubs all over. Scroll down the main page until you see 'bonsai near you'. Zoom in on that map until you find what you want. Lucky for you there are a lot of choices in the central California area. Good luck!

Paintby#'s

Sapling
Reaction score
20171006_103015.jpg as I mentioned earlier I pick these up at my local flea market and the gentleman could not give me a exact type of pine and I'm just the new guy, I bought them any how because I thought they looked promising and I like them:) also he shared with me that these were around 8 to ten years old, could this be true Maybe some one here can help can identify these little guys. These along with a few Juniper are what I have to start with and as I read and listen it is late in the season to do anything with these guys till spring .

Paintby#'s

Sapling
Reaction score
20171006_121816_001.jpg
Working on my patio in hopes that it will keep me inspired thru the up coming winter months. notice I have picked up some pottery:) but still in need of tools , material, soils ect. I'm sure my patients will hold up. I'll have to build more plastic "models" for the mean time another hobby all together but just as fulfilling:) I will need to learn what pots will best fit these little guys or if any of these will suffice their needs. So with all the knowledge shared on this forum I'm sure you guys will coach me along this journey:) thanks and have a blessed day.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
the white buds on the close up pic suggest japanese black pine a very common tree in bonsai

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's probably the best pine to start with because there's endless amounts of info written about them

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Paintby#'s that question is better left to an expert. I only have one JBP. I could have miss ID'd it but I'm 98% certain that's what they are.
They seem older than most pines I have though. Old enough to start some work on. They seem like good finds. Granted I can't see a ton in the pics

Paintby#'s

Sapling
Reaction score
@Paintby#'s that question is better left to an expert. I only have one JBP. I could have miss ID'd it but I'm 98% certain that's what they are.
They seem older than most pines I have though. Old enough to start some work on. They seem like good finds. Granted I can't see a ton in the pics
OK i will try to post closeup pics thanks again for your help.

Top Bottom