hello everyone

DoctaQ

Seedling
Reaction score
hi all, first post here

thus far i have a largish jade bonsai at home, under artificial lighting and its growing pretty decent, i live in new england so lighting and weather arent the best so ive decided that indoor under artificial lighting is the way i am going to go. im having pretty good luck with compact flourescent so far but i want to give high powered LEDs a try.

does anyone here grow under mainly artificial lighting?

besides my one bonsai id like to get a few smaller ones going, i have alder cones that i soaked for a day but didnt germinate , i guess im definately doing it wrong, what are some easier plants to start from seed?

i have a mini terrarium that i am about to set up, any ideas for plants here? i could incororate a bonsai into this since the front door swings open but any other gardener suggestions would be much appreciated as well, thanks in advance

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
You might start on Jerry Meislik's site:

http://www.bonsaihunk.us/index.html

People will tell you that bonsai is an outdoor hobby. So just go into it with your eyes open that everything you do will revolve around overcoming the fact that your plants are not in a natural environment.

As far as the LED's the guy I buy my humic acid from at the local hydroponic store said that they are not worth it for the money. So take that for what it is worth.

BTW: Welcome to the Nut House!

DoctaQ

Seedling
Reaction score
thanks mile i will check that link out

i realize that sunlight and lighting in general is very important for plant health, i am willing to experiment with a few cuttings that have been growing decently for me under cfl.

people said that corals couldnt be grown under leds, and for the most part they were right, but there are high powered leds out now that put out more light than any other source for the same power. these things require heatsinks, that being said, this is definatley an experiment, also just to not be sketchy or anything, im not growing pot, i live with my parents because i am a dork.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Stay away from temperate native materials to try to grow indoors, you might get a couple few years then you will be dissapointed. Hi output LEDs are EXPENSIVE.

Do a search for indoor bonsai and follow the lists you find( Elms, ficus, Serrissa, Brazilian Raintree, etc). By the way New England is a great place for bonsai, summer winter what ever. I live in western Massachusetts, plenty going on from spring bonsai work to shows, collecting, nursery crawls, the list always seems endless.

DoctaQ

Seedling
Reaction score
thanks bill

what happens during winter to your bonsai?

i have some kind of slight pattio type deal but it gets very hot and is not protected against the elements

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hey whats up Doc, sorry hadn't seen this til now. Overwintering can be a pain, I have 3 different types of needs for the winter, Hardy temprets go into a cold frame, tropicals go into a big east facing window in my basement(with florescent fixture over the top), and those that need a bit of protection due to being work on in the fall, less than fully hardy(ie. serrissa, satsuki azelea, trident maples,etc.) will spend the winter in my 3 season breezway, kept at between 30 and 38 F..

Top Bottom