Hello From Big Sur

esons

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello, and thanks to you all for keeping such an informative site of information available. I've been interested in bonsai for a while but just started giving it a go. So, I went to a bonsai nursery (Lone Pines in Sebastapol, it's awesome) and got a bit over whelmed by all their incredible stock, so I just bought a few tiny trees. Now I understand that right now these trees need nothing so much as to grow a whole lot more, but it seems to me that even at this early stage the gardeners at the nursery have done some work on them. They don't look like normal young plants to me. So I'll Try and post pictured of them now and I was hoping I could get some input of what was done, and what it is I should be doing in with them in the coming season. Thanks

Attachments

• DSCN3721.jpg
    DSCN3721.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN3714.jpg
    DSCN3714.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN3719.jpg
    DSCN3719.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 53

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So you have a trident maple, an olive, and what looks to be a gingko. Good early stage material. Nothing has been done to them that I can tell. Just your average saplings that need either a large tub to grow in, or the ground to fatten up.

Ruelas831

Sapling
Reaction score
So where you evacuated? I'm in Salinas and the smoke was pretty bad here could just imagine over there. Hope everything ok

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome

Please put your location in your profile to help people give you advice in the future.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome! :)

I am not sure where you are but if you are indeed in CA as alluded to by Ruelas831...you can get better stocks and have a nicer bonsai sooner (if it matters to you). If you only intend to learn how to care for trees for now, these will do. As mentioned above, you can let these grow (in ground or in bigger grow containers) for several years then you will have something to work on.

Me, I started with the biggest trunk I can get (in relation to the target finished tree) and started building from there. No right or wrong approach. It just depends on what type of person you are and what your bonsai goals and aspirations are.

Enjoy the journey! :)

esons

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks guys. So I'll put them into bigger tubs and let them grow. There just in potting soil now. I heard a mix of potting soil and sand might be better. Would collected river sand work?

Yeah, it's been crazy here Ruelas. Might be able to go home tomorrow or the next day. We got pretty lucky, home still there but water tank and pipes burnt up.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks guys. So I'll put them into bigger tubs and let them grow. There just in potting soil now. I heard a mix of potting soil and sand might be better. Would collected river sand work?

Yeah, it's been crazy here Ruelas. Might be able to go home tomorrow or the next day. We got pretty lucky, home still there but water tank and pipes burnt up.

Well anything would be better than regular potting soil. I don't want to start a soil wars conversation as there are so many opinions on that, I like to use fine lava rock in with my soil and composted pine bark chips. There are those who go totally inorganic too, pumice, dry stall, and all the other mixes. I find that all mixes will grow Bonsai, anything in the soil that will divert the roots growth makes stronger finer roots, including pumice, lava, coarse sand and small pea gravel. On the other hand adding pumice or lava rock will retain moisture longer as they hold water and ferts too. I like some soil and pine bark chips for the natural nutrients they add, keep in mind that with no organics your ferts and water dries out quicker and thus requires more attention to watering etc. Search here for soil mixes and you will get an eyeful. :)

ed

Last edited:
Top Bottom