Hello from Calgary, Canada.

Bambi Darling

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Hello! I am new to the world of Bonsai as of....yesterday >.< I went and picked myself up a very tiny Juniper. I definitely should have researched more beforehand but here I am....

The little guy had rocks glued all around it, I removed those immediately as I heard it can be bad for them. He has brown spikes all throughout? He doesn't look healthy now that I see healthy junipers. He still has the majority green. I also did a "scratch test" on the trunk and there isn't green, just a tan colour. Is he dead already?? In hopes of saving him (if even possible?) I put him outside. Is there a chance to save this tree or should I begin again now that I know a little bit more?

Are there any recommendations as to what type of Bonsai I should start with? Other than it being from a nursery and not mallsai ;) I see so much conflicting information everywhere and I feel really confused. Some places say Junipers are a great start, others say they are the worst.....I know every tree has it's own wants and needs but perhaps there are tougher tree's for a beginner to learn and grow with?

I'm doing my best in this post not to come across like a complete moron so please bare with me on my ignorant questions.

I would really like to succeed in this hobby and have a healthy tree of my own so I really appreciate any help or advice.

Thank you!

Robertji

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hello from Ontario, Canada

An all Canadian thread eh? Welcome to the bonsai world. I can't really speak to the state of your tree, but pictures would help to determine overall health. I am fairly new to bonsai so hopefully some experts will chime in but one thing I have learned is that I needed to meet nature's timeline because nature was not willing to meet mine. I kept trying things at the least appropriate times and I was rewarded with my mistakes as you would expect.
Junipers are great starters, tough and forgiving but if you consider that yours was in a store when it should have been under a blanket of snow you can get my point. Not very natural I'm afraid.
Who knows, you could get lucky but I encourage you not to give up regardless of the outcome on this one, learn more join a club and keep trying! Best of luck and go Flames!

Jim

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I would be very reluctant putting your juniper directly outside into the teeth of a Calgary winter in mid January. Finding a coolish southern facing window and nursing it through the winter inside would be the best course of action, I think.

Bambi Darling

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Thank you both so much for the replies! It hasn't gotten under -8 Celsius here lately and sunny days. Is this still too cold? It got up to +8 during the day today. If it is still too cold I will bring inside :) Thank you again!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
For your second starter tree, You should consider buying a tropical of some sort. I don't care what people say, you don't NEED a huge expensive setup for them. I have a pineapple plant, 1 Orange, 3 tangerines, and 4 lemons growing in just a south facing window. Even in Canada I know of several people who grow tropicals inside. I recommend a ficus, maybe find an online retailer to ship it weather permitting.

Bambi Darling

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
For your second starter tree, You should consider buying a tropical of some sort. I don't care what people say, you don't NEED a huge expensive setup for them. I have a pineapple plant, 1 Orange, 3 tangerines, and 4 lemons growing in just a south facing window. Even in Canada I know of several people who grow tropicals inside. I recommend a ficus, maybe find an online retailer to ship it weather permitting.

Thank you ^_^ this is a great suggestion and my plan is definitely to try out a Ficus come spring time. Since most places won't ship during winter.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you both so much for the replies! It hasn't gotten under -8 Celsius here lately and sunny days. Is this still too cold? It got up to +8 during the day today. If it is still too cold I will bring inside :) Thank you again!

Most junipers can easily handle temps that cold and colder....if they have been kept outside consistently and have experienced the seasonal changes, such as decreasing day length and light frosts and freezes, from mid summer through late fall, that will allow them to deal with true winter cold. Your tree most likely has been kept in a greenhouse, hasn't developed any significant cold hardiness for this year, and most likely would suffer greatly from even routine winter cold.

Bambi Darling

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Most junipers can easily handle temps that cold and colder....if they have been kept outside consistently and have experienced the seasonal changes, such as decreasing day length and light frosts and freezes, from mid summer through late fall, that will allow them to deal with true winter cold. Your tree most likely has been kept in a greenhouse, hasn't developed any significant cold hardiness for this year, and most likely would suffer greatly from even routine winter cold.

This makes sense :) I will bring inside, thank you!

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome!

You have actually started at a good time of the year. You can take your time until spring to read up on bonsai. Come spring you will be better prepared to jump in. I would also recommend finding a local club. Learning face to face is much easer than trying to learn over the internet.

Here are a couple of links to get you started:

Evergreen Gardenworks

Bonsai4Me

There are enough articles to keep you busy for a while.

Good luck.

Bambi Darling

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Welcome!

You have actually started at a good time of the year. You can take your time until spring to read up on bonsai. Come spring you will be better prepared to jump in. I would also recommend finding a local club. Learning face to face is much easer than trying to learn over the internet.

Here are a couple of links to get you started:

Evergreen Gardenworks

Bonsai4Me

There are enough articles to keep you busy for a while.

Good luck.

Thank you! I have done a ton of reading and will be doing more! :D

Top Bottom