Hello from Fort Worth Texas

James H

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hello everyone, my name is James and I am currently in fort worth texas. I am new to bonsai, and cant wait to start really working with my trees. I currently have two willow leaf ficus and a tiger bark ficus. The willow leaf were saved from the trash can at my work and the tiger bark ficus i bought.

I am looking at getting an subalpine fir from my parents house outside of Colorado and was wondering if anyone has tried to grow them in a warmer climate. It is a natural bonsai where it is and I am very interested in trying to get it and grow it myself.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
The fir WILL die. Don't bother. Save a tree.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
What Jim said. Firs are cold weather trees to begin with, and my understanding is that subalpine firs are hard to maintain in a pot even for those who work with them within a short distance of where they grow naturally. There's a phenomenom seen amongst bonsai enthusiasts known as Zone Envy- where one wishes one could grow a tree in a climate that is not even close to ideal for the species in question. Watching a beautiful tree languish and die over a period of years despite your best efforts is frustrating and can lead to leaving the art entirely...trust me, I've been there. One of the best bits of advice for someone new to bonsai is to focus on tree species that grow easily in your local. Skip the fir until you move back to CO and welcome to bonsai!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome to B-Nut!

As Dave said, get what grows local to us...it will make your bonsai life much easier and fulfilling. :) I did not and paying the price (i.e. moving tropical trees in and out to protect them from cold). It is not fun.

If I may suggest try; Elm, Boxwood, Juniper, Yaupon Holly, TX Persimmon, Live Oak, Pyracantha, Olive, and Crape Myrtle. I also have JBP and Trident Maple that seem to do well here (with some shade).

NOTE that your area can get a bit colder than Austin so it is just a list to start and hopefully you can double check with someone locally. Good luck! :)

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello from Fairview Michigan. The for wouldn't be best where you're at. I would go with the suggestions from Dario. He's from there and should know what works for your area. Good Luck!

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Welcome. The first thing to obtain is patience and the first thing to accomplish is learning to keep your trees thriving. Check out local clubs. They will have experience folks willing to help you along.

James H

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks for the information, I was guessing that it would not really do well here. The tree is at my parents house and they are getting ready to sell it and move off. It is such a nice looking wild tree I was just curious of what people thought.

I have been reading several books and watching lots of videos on youtube and bonsai sites. I am letting my current trees really establish at grow out before I start trying to shape or work with them. They are all doing great right as they are in there nursery pots for now.

I want to try a clump style with my willow leaf ficus maybe have some small root over rock element to it as the two trees have some great roots going right now. Many of my other plants spend most of their winters indoors under grow lights to keep them safe as we get such extreme weather here in Fort Worth. Any give winter we can go from a 6 to an 8 for zone temps. Again thanks for the advice and when they get into their next pots I will post up some photos.

Last edited:

StarTurtle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi James,
First welcome to Bonsai Nut, some helpful people here.

Second JOIN A CLUB Fort Worth has a good club with lots of expertize fwbonsai.com is the link to the club, check them out and have fun.

Greg

James H

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
thanks for the link greg. I have been trying to find the time to come to a meeting and join up. I am hoping to be at the next meeting.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes a lot of things can grow here, but fir and larch will only break your heart. Join the ft worth club and learn what people grow well here. You will find its a wide enough variety to keep you busy.

Top Bottom