Hello from Massachusetts!

Sassafras

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi all!
I'm so glad to have found a forum of people interested in these wonderful little trees.
I'm new to Bonsai, so you'll probably be seeing me around pretty often, can't wait to learn. šŸŽ“
I just started my adventure with some Eastern White Pine sprouts that I found on my walks in the woods, any advice on those guys is welcome!

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hi all!
I'm so glad to have found a forum of people interested in these wonderful little trees.
I'm new to Bonsai, so you'll probably be seeing me around pretty often, can't wait to learn. šŸŽ“
I just started my adventure with some Eastern White Pine sprouts that I found on my walks in the woods, any advice on those guys is welcome!
welcome, what part of MA are you from? Dartmouth MA here.

the white pines arent ideal for bonsai, written off by most and i concur with that sentiment.

look for some pitch pine from MA, beech, holly (the smaller leaf, non sharp tooth ones or those even, despite what people say about leaf size) maples and sweetgum, to name some that i think about in nature/landscapes around here.

good luck,

Tom

and no offense but the sassafras are a write off as well, but cool nonetheless

Sassafras

Seedling
Reaction score
welcome, what part of MA are you from? Dartmouth MA here.

the white pines arent ideal for bonsai, written off by most and i concur with that sentiment.

look for some pitch pine from MA, beech, holly (the smaller leaf, non sharp tooth ones or those even, despite what people say about leaf size) maples and sweetgum, to name some that i think about in nature/landscapes around here.

good luck,

Tom

and no offense but the sassafras are a write off as well, but cool nonetheless
Thanks for the advice! I'm actually in western Mass (think Holyoke/Northampton area), so the weather is finally warming up.

I have heard the EWP are not the best for Bonsai, but I'm a little attached already, so I think the plan is to expand my collection instead of getting rid of the lil guy.

I'm planning on buying a starter Bonsai while I wait for the EWP to grow, and also my to-be-found maple sapling! Do you have any recommendations for beginners?

Thanks again!

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks for the advice! I'm actually in western Mass (think Holyoke/Northampton area), so the weather is finally warming up.

I have heard the EWP are not the best for Bonsai, but I'm a little attached already, so I think the plan is to expand my collection instead of getting rid of the lil guy.

I'm planning on buying a starter Bonsai while I wait for the EWP to grow, and also my to-be-found maple sapling! Do you have any recommendations for beginners?

Thanks again!
maples are fun - at nurseries or garden centers there are azalea that make nice bonsai, hibiscus, maples, mugo pines, forsynthia, jades, lots of juniper types, yew, etc.

cool about northhampton area, im a dinosaur jr fan

Oerc201

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Malden MA here.

good luck on your journey. I would get maples, chinese elm and junipers to start but I agree with the comment about West Bonsai they are opened by appointment. Nebonsai Sat and Sun without appointment. You would be surprised what they have. Bring some dollars šŸ’µ because is dangerously addictive.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Sassafras, I'll be that guy and argue with the experts.
Whatever tree you like, or whatever tree you find first is good enough to learn on. They all grow differently, and the first step in learning bonsai is just learning to grow the things at all in stead of kill them.
If you like white pines, grow white pines. Worst case, you sell them to neighbors for their landscape or Christmas trees.

Sassafras

Seedling
Reaction score
Ma resident for the first 4 decades of my of my life. Take a day trip and head to Bonsai West in Littleton, assuming they're open. Seeing good trees in person is where you need to start.
Thanks so much for the recommendation, guess I have my weekend plans now!

Sassafras

Seedling
Reaction score
@Sassafras, I'll be that guy and argue with the experts.
Whatever tree you like, or whatever tree you find first is good enough to learn on. They all grow differently, and the first step in learning bonsai is just learning to grow the things at all in stead of kill them.
If you like white pines, grow white pines. Worst case, you sell them to neighbors for their landscape or Christmas trees.
That's my goal currently, don't want to spend an arm on a tree I can't even keep alive - let alone style!

Sassafras

Seedling
Reaction score
Ama
Malden MA here.

good luck on your journey. I would get maples, chinese elm and junipers to start but I agree with the comment about West Bonsai they are opened by appointment. Nebonsai Sat and Sun without appointment. You would be surprised what they have. Bring some dollars šŸ’µ because is dangerously addictive.
Amazing, thanks for the recommendation! I've already mentally prepared for the hit to my wallet šŸ¤£

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Greetings, Traveller!

Unfold here, in the Tiny Forest.

Youā€™ve stumbled across a wonderful community.. built on shared knowledge and experience.

Many will say Eastern White Pines needles are too large... but in the wild, here in the cold.. the needles (pre-reduction) are JUST as big as the Sylvestris and Jack Pines...

But I donā€™t really ā€œdoā€ pines.. so PERHAPS the Easterns DONā€™T reduce... I donā€™t know, though, for I have never tried..

Take the pines, bend ā€˜em up.. see what happens..

But ALSO search your woods/areas for OTHER species too... LOTS of New Englanders here to help you determine what OTHER species are by you.

šŸ¤“

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Mind you, Iā€™m not telling you to go drop $500 on trees at bonsai West. Iā€™m telling you to spend a couple of hours sipping on a coffee while walking through their specimen garden in the yard and seeing what they have in their green houses. I used to live about 20 minutes away from Newenglandbonsai in Bellingham. I probably went there at least two or three times a month just to hang out in their green houses and check out all their trees and study them and talk to the staff.

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mind you, Iā€™m not telling you to go drop $500 on trees at bonsai West.
Or $500 on A tree!
Iā€™m telling you to spend a couple of hours sipping on a coffee while walking through their specimen garden in the yard and seeing what they have in their green houses. I used to live about 20 minutes away from Newenglandbonsai in Bellingham. I probably went there at least two or three times a month just to hang out in their green houses and check out all their trees and study them and talk to the staff.
Sounds bomb, I go to Kimura bonsai to bug @bonsaibp and his workers.. Also, each time I go, I see new trees not there last time!

Sassafras

Seedling
Reaction score
Mind you, Iā€™m not telling you to go drop $500 on trees at bonsai West. Iā€™m telling you to spend a couple of hours sipping on a coffee while walking through their specimen garden in the yard and seeing what they have in their green houses. I used to live about 20 minutes away from Newenglandbonsai in Bellingham. I probably went there at least two or three times a month just to hang out in their green houses and check out all their trees and study them and talk to the staff.
Oh most definitely not planning on spending that much! haha

My boyfriend and I love greenhouses, and the one near us is closed at the moment, so I'm sure we'll be moseying a good while šŸ‘

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Bonsai West is open but I don't believe the garden will have all the trees out yet. You can still visit but you might need to wait until the end of April to see all the trees.

But @Dav4 is correct. Get out and see some nice trees. New England Bonsai Garden and Bonsai West are great for that. Look into the classes they offer as well.

290/495 area here

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Welcome! Great hobby... with your seeing winter and cold. Figuring out how you will winter will help with your selections for your bench. Finding ones which can winter in your set up is a key to success.

Top Bottom