Hello from Maui

Mura

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
12b
Howzit everyone?!

Anyone here from Hawaii? Or from a tropical climate like Hawaii? I would love to talk soil, seasons, and what types of trees are best for our climate. I've been having fun with different type of ficus (ficuses??šŸ˜‚ idk). I love junipers but haven't had too much success with seeds, cuttings and air layering. So far I've gotten 3 out of about 50 juniper cuttings to take, while I'm at about 75% success with the ficus varieties. I have a million questions but I'll stop here. Hope to connect with some experts, amateurs and other beginners like myself. Aloha everyone, hope to chat soon

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I was just in maui 2 weeks ago!! Had a really good time!
Lots of bougainvillea there, lots of people make bonsai out of them. You also have lots of African tulip tree...not sure if you can make bonsais out of them though. Monkey pod trees, banyan trees...

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I was just in maui 2 weeks ago!! Had a really good time!
Lots of bougainvillea there, lots of people make bonsai out of them. You also have lots of African tulip tree...not sure if you can make bonsais out of them though. Monkey pod trees, banyan trees...
I tried an African Tuliptree for 10 years and finally gave up after zero blooms. They are fastigate (grow straight up) which is unbonsai-like. The flowers are huge and I admired them in Florida and couldn't resist the magnificent orange color. Maybe better in Hawaii, but there are so many options there for trees, I'd do something else.

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I tried an African Tuliptree for 10 years and finally gave up after zero blooms. They are fastigate (grow straight up) which is unbonsai-like. The flowers are huge and I admired them in Florida and couldn't resist the magnificent orange color. Maybe better in Hawaii, but there are so many options there for trees, I'd do something else.
I wasnā€™t sure about the African Tulip tree...I just know they are invasive there. Now I know I wonā€™t look for seeds for them! šŸ˜€

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've never lived in Maui, but I have visited there numerous times. I know lots of people keep scheffleras as bonsai there... though it is not my favorite species. Tons of bougainvillea, as well as ficus styled banyan style with multiple trunks and aerial roots. Also the much maligned (but I like) Fukien tea tree.

Check the Phillipines. If it grows there it will probably do well in Maui, and the Philippines has a large and active bonsai community.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Greetings Traveller! The Woody Dwarves are Gentle and endearing with their ukele strokes.. in this inlet-set islands, here, in the Tiny Forest...

Iā€™m not sure of PI (Pacific Island) trees... I do know that Iā€™ll bug @Forsoothe! by suggesting Parkinsonia! šŸ¤£
They are invasive on the islands..so chances are you could find some interesting, old(er) trunks.

@Clicio is in a similar climate..

EXCEPT.. in Hawaii.. gotta plan around that ā€œKauā€ and ā€œHooiloā€.. (weā€™ll make the others look that up.) :)

Canā€™t go wrong with ficus and bougies.

Other than that.. just swinging through...

...pleasure to make your acquaintance.

šŸ¤“

...are you native? Just curious?

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Welcome! Cool home state, they have a pretty cool history tied into chinese penjing. Check out fukubonsai.com, it's a hawaiian nursery with a pretty neat mentality around the art.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Howzit everyone?!

Anyone here from Hawaii? Or from a tropical climate like Hawaii? I would love to talk soil, seasons, and what types of trees are best for our climate. I've been having fun with different type of ficus (ficuses??šŸ˜‚ idk). I love junipers but haven't had too much success with seeds, cuttings and air layering. So far I've gotten 3 out of about 50 juniper cuttings to take, while I'm at about 75% success with the ficus varieties. I have a million questions but I'll stop here. Hope to connect with some experts, amateurs and other beginners like myself. Aloha everyone, hope to chat soon
There is a great and amazing collection on Popui Kauai. Below is a link to a thread I started after visiting Samā€™s Bonsai collection.

Mura

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
12b
Thanks for all the replies!

@HorseloverFat yeah Iā€™m born and raised, I do have one bougainvillea and been talking to my landscaper friends about harvesting whenever they need to remove them. As far as seasons, I actually thought we were ā€œimmuneā€ to the different seasons but Iā€™m learning how wrong I was.

thanks @Bonsai Nut, yes I have been watching bonsai videos from the. Philippines. So many good ones. Some trees I can identify but others I havenā€™t seen

@PA_Penjing yes I love fukubonsais site. I believe they used to offer classes. I have a dwarf schefflera cutting that looks like it might take. But if not, thereā€™s a fuku bonsai dealer on my Maui. I wish the actually nursery was here too

@ghues Iā€™ll have to check that out next time I head to Kauai. Thanks!

Reaction score
We have an endemic tree here, Morella faya, that has been introduced to Hawaii and is now considered a pest there. I think it will do great as bonsai. Iā€™m looking for the ā€˜perfectā€™ one to dig. You may have restrictions on its use though.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Dwarf schefflera are whatā€™s up. Iā€™ve seen many spectacular examples of them. Bougies are well loved all over the states too. And to answer you question, there is at least one member on here from Hawaii but I canā€™t remember if heā€™s posted in the last year. We arenā€™t often on the same threads because I grow what thrives where I live and he does the same haha

Mura

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
12b
We have an endemic tree here, Morella faya, that has been introduced to Hawaii and is now considered a pest there. I think it will do great as bonsai. Iā€™m looking for the ā€˜perfectā€™ one to dig. You may have restrictions on its use though.
Yeah Iā€™ve seen those but only up on the mountain and never down near my house. Iā€™m sure I could try but I canā€™t see them thriving in my back yard sadly. The main mountain (Haleakala) is about 10,000 ft higher than my altitude lol.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Howzit everyone?!

Hi and welcome

Please put your location on your profile so that when you ask questions, we can answer with your location in mind.
Many answers in bonsai are dependent on where you are

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Yeah Iā€™ve seen those but only up on the mountain and never down near my house. Iā€™m sure I could try but I canā€™t see them thriving in my back yard sadly. The main mountain (Haleakala) is about 10,000 ft higher than my altitude lol.
Morella is a species of Myrica faya, the scourge of this rainforest. Horribly invasive. It's taking over Hawaii Volcano National Park. Home of Pele.

Top Bottom