Hello from NJ. Native bonsai to my area??

Siguy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello all.

I live in Zone 6b in New Jersey and have access to *alot* of land and trees/fauna.

What local species(plural) should I have my eye out for when considering a candidate for bonsai?

Thanks all. Excellent forum, btw. Very helpful people and very insightful wisdom found here.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello all.

I live in Zone 6b in New Jersey and have access to *alot* of land and trees/fauna.

What local species(plural) should I have my eye out for when considering a candidate for bonsai?

Thanks all. Excellent forum, btw. Very helpful people and very insightful wisdom found here.

Welcome....keep reading....you will find the seedy underbelly soon enough!

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Hackberry, hornbeam, hophornbeam, swamp maple, Virginia pine, eastern white pine, eastern red cedar (juniper), etc.

sbarnhardt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've read Pinus rigida, pitch pine is native to areas of NJ, in particular to South Jersey and the Shore areas. I know my wife is a South Jersey girl and tells me about the "pine barrens" down in the area, Ocean County/Lakewood, where she lived. I'd like to lay hands on some myself here in NC.

Here is a link to a Wikipedia page re: Pinus Rigida / Pitch Pine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinus_rigida

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hello all.

If it is growing outdoors it "could" be a candidate. Many things grow well in 6b but if "collecting" you need to have an understanding of what has future potential and the proper time for collection. You should be able to get Maples, Elms, Locust and many sturdy trees as well as a wide variety of Shrubs. Most anything can be dropped in pot - looking at it and determining if it is worth your time is the first step.

Grimmy

Top Bottom