Hello from Texas

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hello all. Been enjoying the page. here was our weekend project.

Sunday morning project.... the wife and I did a slip pot on ole big ugly. Bought this maple for the size to get a jump on time so speak. New it looked like not much root on one side and was correct, absolutely none. Slipped him out and it was in dang near mud. Basically shook of the mud without messing with the roots. Slid it in a big tub with better soil around it with plenty of sphagnum as well. Centered it so the no root side can hopefully produce some decent roots over the next year. Hopefully it thrives. Fingers crossed.

Attachments

• bigug2.jpg
    bigug2.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 71
  • bug1.jpg
    bug1.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 69
  • bigug3.jpg
    bigug3.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 70
  • bu4.jpg
    bu4.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 62
  • bu5.jpg
    bu5.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 68

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bwahahahahaha!
The ultimate king of GIF's everyone, @LanceMac10 !
Face plant into the wooden fence is the kicker! I would really be hard pressed to identify any faults with her head butting technique from this angle. Her only downfall would be the apparent leading with the front teeth on the follow through.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello all. Been enjoying the page. here was our weekend project.

Sunday morning project.... the wife and I did a slip pot on ole big ugly. Bought this maple for the size to get a jump on time so speak. New it looked like not much root on one side and was correct, absolutely none. Slipped him out and it was in dang near mud. Basically shook of the mud without messing with the roots. Slid it in a big tub with better soil around it with plenty of sphagnum as well. Centered it so the no root side can hopefully produce some decent roots over the next year. Hopefully it thrives. Fingers crossed.
this is not a great time to be doing much of anything with maples.

Also it's not a great thing to "shake" a tree to get soil off the roots. It winds up breaking finer roots, or even larger roots. Even if it doesn't outright break them, it can partially break them and slow everything down. If you want to get rid of old mucky soil on maples, best to use a hose in the spring. A forceful-ish stream of water from a hose will more safely remove old soil. I strip out old soil on my maples at each repotting. Doesn't hurt them a bit.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I appreciate the info everyone. I understood the time of year being wrong etc but the risk was calculated for me. I did not want it in the mud that it was sent in. It was not potted very well, looked as if they sat the root ball in the pot of dirt and added dirt around it,poor dirt at that. Ideally i would have waited.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
So with the general consensus that i "screwed the pooch " by doing this when i did when should i expect to see the negative outcome? so far it seems to be doing well.

DayDrunk

Yamadori
Reaction score
Looks like we have us a real world experiment for the “Late Summer Repotting” thread. 👍🏻 With those extreme temps I’d keep it in the shade for a while.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
rockm, understood. Like i said in a perfect world i would have waited.

DayDrunk, totally unintentional in regards to “Late Summer Repotting” thread. haha and yes, all my maples stay shaded,i have learned they can not take the direct hot a** Texas sun.

Top Bottom