Hello from the PNW

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So.....where are you on planet earth (profile location).....assuming you are on earth...nothing wrong if you're not on earth.....and what trees are you thinking you will grow?

Heavy_Set

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7/8
I have just collected this small tree from the side of the highway near where i grew up. It has been growing there for at least the 9 years that i have noticed growing. I have no idea what type of juniper,cypress,arbovitae....? 1459976563680-67993474.jpg

Heavy_Set

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7/8
So.....where are you on planet earth (profile location).....assuming you are on earth...nothing wrong if you're not on earth.....and what trees are you thinking you will grow?
I am still figuring this site out, i am in OR, near Hillsboro. I will get my profile set up as soon as i can. Im excited to learn as much as i can and grow some great trees!! I have some junipers,japanese maples and a few unknown small trees as of now.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sounds like a good plan. Yup...some parts of the site are tricky....but you'll figure it out in time.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a pretty sick little tree....

You figured out how to enter your age...
So you must also have realized this site is only difficult to navigate for folks double your age!

Welcome to Crazy!

When I worked at Arby's, we sold potato cakes, everyone asked for them as such, til one day, a guy in the drive thru asked for a potato wedge....
My guy turned around and went....
"Dude said, Potato Wedge!"

In that fashion.

Dude said,
Been interested in bonsai for a long time and finally have the time and ability to really begin growing some trees in pots

That was the best unpunctuated almost run-on sentence but not, one line intro to Crazy I ever read!

Well Done my Friend!
Well Done!

That tree, should be styled like the deciduous tree it wants to be!
I support transgender trees!

Sorce

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Welcome to the nuthouse. That tree you collected is probably a Western Red Cedar based on the fact that you collected it close to home which is close to sea level....native Cypress grow at higher elevations. You close to the "Portland Bonsai Village" so many of us would be envious......having such a great group so close by(Michael Hagedorn, Ryan Neal, Randy Knight etc) .....check them out now that you have the time.
Attached is a photo of Michael's garden last week.
Cheers G.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    480.8 KB · Views: 9

Heavy_Set

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7/8
Welcome to the nuthouse. That tree you collected is probably a Western Red Cedar based on the fact that you collected it close to home which is close to sea level....native Cypress grow at higher elevations. You close to the "Portland Bonsai Village" so many of us would be envious......having such a great group so close by(Michael Hagedorn, Ryan Neal, Randy Knight etc) .....check them out now that you have the time.
Attached is a photo of Michael's garden last week.
Cheers G.
It could very well be a cedar, i do know that there used to be a roadside plant/tree selling lot just across the street that sold mostly arbovitae, they seeded a good portion of the ditch where i collected this tree bit it was the only one that looked different than the rest that i know for sure camr from seeds from the lot. Im going to try to nurse it back to health as i believe it has been sprayed with some kind of nasty chemical as well as being blasted with car exhaust all day every day for its entire . I am definately close to the portland japanese garden, and it is amazing!!!! Also my parents yards are basically japanese gardens thanks to the previous owners taste in landscaping, lots of acer palmatum culitvars, black pines,rhododendrons,azaleas and many i am unfamiliar with. Now that my parents are getting older and not able to keep up he yards, its time for me to take over and bring them back to how they should be:)

Heavy_Set

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7/8
This is an icider of mine.....

I think I'll go get it today!

http://www.bonsainut.com/posts/280239/

Sorce
Dang,nice find!!! That looks pretty sweet!!!! Do you think you could maybe lever the tie up to get to the roots??? I am looking to dig up an elm in the near future, i got a few more trees to dig up at an abandoned old house at the end of the block before i go urban elm hunting.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dang,nice find!!! That looks pretty sweet!!!! Do you think you could maybe lever the tie up to get to the roots??? I am looking to dig up an elm in the near future, i got a few more trees to dig up at an abandoned old house at the end of the block before i go urban elm hunting.

It's all rotten. It may come out easy.

Nice!

Sorce

Top Bottom