Hello I have several tropicals that are just not rebudding leafs after they have lost some due to spidermites

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Still battling spidermites and trees that have lost their leaves only half the leaves come back. Has anyone else seen this? Is just cause they need sun or is it because of my fertilizer? Last year I was using superfly's organic fertilizer and I have switched to biogold for this year but cannot seem to figure it out. Do I maybe need to add some inorganic fertilizer, like bonsai pro or miracle grow?

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Also my tropicals only get about 14 hrs of artificial light and some of them get the morning sun on eastern facing window. I read somewhere on bonsainut that someone has their tropicals with 16 hrs of artificial light.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Many varieties or just one/two varieties? Are the trees growing at all? I keep my tropicals under 24 hour lights.

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
One is a fukien and I have some acacia that the spidermites seem to love. They regrow some leaves but not a lot. And I have a seiju that lost its leaves and only get sparse growth on it.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Fukien will lose lots of leaves but will come back. I feel like every time I sneeze my fukien looses its leaves. Lots of sunshine, that should take care of things.

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Many varieties or just one/two varieties? Are the trees growing at all? I keep my tropicals under 24 hour lights.
24hrs that sounds too long? What kind of lights do you have? I use the barrina grow lights and have 3 across the top, Do you think this is enough and if I upped it from 14hrs to 18hrs?

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am over near Cleveland so similar environment. I use some led shop lights. It isn't a fancy setup. Every winter my fukiens so really poorly until I can get them in the sun. The shop lights make them grow a little, but it is hard to get them to thrive without sun. They can take some serious direct sun. Only thing is they lose their leaves when they get moved so chasing sun beams isn't advisable.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Fukiens are pretty sensitive but can also recover quite well. Mostly, i over water mine. I have a tree that had some root rot and has had 2 leaves since January. I finally got some sun where i am and it is starting to make leaves again.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Still battling spidermites and trees that have lost their leaves only half the leaves come back.
The mites mite be nipping them in the bud.
You either kill all spider mites, or none of them. They take up insecticide resistance quite fast (and also lose it in two or three generations sometimes). So I would try to fix that problem first.

Top Bottom