Hello, I Need Help Identifying My Tree

Cheesehead302

Seedling
Reaction score
Recently, I purchased my first bonsai tree from a local gardening store. I got interested in bonsai by researching a lot about them online, and I finally decided to buy my own. When I asked the clerk what kind of tree I picked out, he first told me that it was a cherry tree, but then he said it was a moonshadow. Based on what I'd seen online, I personally thought it was a Chinese Elm at first glance, but I noticed that it bloomed flowers. So, when I got home, I looked up how I should best care for a moonshadow and was surprised to see that the only moonshadow plant I could find was a shrub. So I examined the tree closer and I noticed that there were little round yellow "fruit" or something on the soil of the plant. The tree has one flower on it that is beginning to bloom, and few that had fallen off into the pot. They are pink and have five pedals based on the ones inside the pot. The flower has one main style as well. I should mention that I live in Georgia (United States) and I'm in the 8a zone. The person at the store told me I should put it in a window seal with a high light level, but I'm not really sure about that since he was talking about it as a moonshadow. Here's a picture of it I took the other day before I brought it home from the store, any information would be appreciated!

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where it says "Here is a picture of it..." click the "Here" . Its a hyperlink to imgur where the photo is hosted. The tree does look similar to an elm, but the flower cancels that theory. Give me a minute, I'll look to try and find out what it is.

Cheesehead302

Seedling
Reaction score
Hmmm, I made a post on Reddit, thanks for the suggestion! I was sort of thinking that it might be a crabapple tree, I'm not really sure about that though.

Scooter9166 - 5a

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Is that the flower hanging from one of the upper branches?

Cheesehead302

Seedling
Reaction score
Is that the flower hanging from one of the upper branches?
Yeah that was one that was about to fall off when I got it. There's one flower that's starting to bloom, I'll take a close up picture of it when I get home.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Hemiptelea Davidii or Cedar Elm, according to my app.

Cheesehead302

Seedling
Reaction score
Here's the flower that's blooming. The leaves started to yellow when I left it in an area with a lot of sun, so I moved it somewhere that isn't as harsh. I'm not really sure what the best place for it is, and I know it depends on the type of tree you have.20190911_154501.jpg

Top Bottom