Hello! I'm New :) Online Vendors?

greenguy

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi guys!

I'm new here and a beginner to bonsai.....and I'm pretty sure I'm full on addicted :D We took the kids to a local Japanese garden during their spring break last month and I just fell in love with this style of gardening.

So far I've picked up some trees from a big box store & a local nursery to start learning how to wire and pot. I've also been using a plant app & roaming around my backyard pulling up some wild trees & taking some cuttings. So I'm finding material which is awesome but I'm just curious to hear who the bonsai vets like to make purchases from online? I tried a couple of cheap Chinese Elms from Brussels on amazon but was a bit disappointed. My two little Brussel's trees- One was like a weird little double root stump shoved in a pot and the other was a sad little straight stump hahaha. I mean its all good - I just wanted something that would grow fast I could practice pruning, shaping etc. and that's what I got.

So far I've looked at Eastern Leaf, Brussels, Amazon, Wigerts Bonsai & Bonsai Boy but have only made the one purchase on amazon. I've also browsed ebay but I'm not experienced enough yet to know what's a good deal, bad deal, fair deal etc

Thanks for any help and suggestions I really do appreciate the help.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good trees are hard to find. However are you in BSOP? (Bonsai Society of Portland) If not you should. It’s an awesome group!
A friend of mine said they have folks selling off trees on and off.

Also the Puget Sound Bonsai Association will be having its annual auction on June 4th at the Pacific Bonsai Museum. Usually a square of Portland folks come up to join in the fun.

cheers
DSD sends

greenguy

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good trees are hard to find. However are you in BSOP? (Bonsai Society of Portland) If not you should. It’s an awesome group!
A friend of mine said they have folks selling off trees on and off.

Also the Puget Sound Bonsai Association will be having its annual auction on June 4th at the Pacific Bonsai Museum. Usually a square of Portland folks come up to join in the fun.

cheers
DSD sends
Nice I'll definitely check out the Bonsai Society of Portland that sounds like fun! I'm also always down for a road trip with an auction to boot haha.

Thanks for the suggestions

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Wigerts is decent
I would say more than decent. Very healthy trees, good prices and they have a lot more than what they have on their website if you just ask. They are happy to send you pictures of other trees available and respond quickly to emails. Highly recommend.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did the alien look at a bunch of Bonsai shops then buy something from the Solar Systemizer?

So....

The Fake News cycle is predictable from light years away!

Welcome to....uh....damn! That's Crazy!

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice I'll definitely check out the Bonsai Society of Portland that sounds like fun! I'm also always down for a road trip with an auction to boot haha.

Thanks for the suggestions
Club auctions are one of the best ways to get excellent material for not a lot of money. Portland is a pretty target rich environment for bonsai. With all the resources out there, it's worth using them. Online suppliers are fine, some are great, but they will never really compare to seeing actual trees in person.

greenguy

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would say more than decent. Very healthy trees, good prices and they have a lot more than what they have on their website if you just ask. They are happy to send you pictures of other trees available and respond quickly to emails. Highly recommend.
Thanks guys this is super helpful. I'll check Wigerts out again. It's tough looking at all these places online and go huh.....but I wonder if they're reputable? So it's nice to hear folks opinions :)
Club auctions are one of the best ways to get excellent material for not a lot of money. Portland is a pretty target rich environment for bonsai. With all the resources out there, it's worth using them. Online suppliers are fine, some are great, but they will never really compare to seeing actual trees in person.
Awesome thank you for the advice- that's great to know about Portland. I spent hours wandering around a local nursery last week that had a decent bonsai section & supplies, I agree seeing everything in person is a million times better :) I picked up a baby Trident maple that I'm excited to see grow over the coming years.
Did the alien look at a bunch of Bonsai shops then buy something from the Solar Systemizer?

So....

The Fake News cycle is predictable from light years away!

Welcome to....uh....damn! That's Crazy!

Sorce
There is no news.......this has all happened before and will all happen again :D

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Also, there’s a search feature you can utilize on the site, I’ve seen several threads about this am over the last couple years. Search tittles…. Here’s one I found in matter of seconds.

Just make sure to save some of the money for your kids college funds 😎🍻

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks guys this is super helpful. I'll check Wigerts out again. It's tough looking at all these places online and go huh.....but I wonder if they're reputable? So it's nice to hear folks opinions :)

Awesome thank you for the advice- that's great to know about Portland. I spent hours wandering around a local nursery last week that had a decent bonsai section & supplies, I agree seeing everything in person is a million times better :) I picked up a baby Trident maple that I'm excited to see grow over the coming years.

There is no news.......this has all happened before and will all happen again :D
Nurseries are OK, most overprice their bonsai stuff for what it is and/or source it from online vendors, like Brussels. WIgerts is fine. PRimarily tropical stuff if that's what you're interested in.

This event "Farm to Table" bonsai event in Mid-May is geared towards beginners from what I've read. Worth going to I'd think, bonsai-specific vendors will be there.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

I have had great experience with Wigert's. Just be aware that due to their location (in south Florida) they carry tropical trees. They are a great source if you are actively searching for tropical trees like Brazilian Rain Tree, Ficus, Bouganvillea, etc. Cold hardy mountain pines - not so much :)

greenguy

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have had great experience with Wigert's. Just be aware that due to their location (in south Florida) they carry tropical trees. They are a great source if you are actively searching for tropical trees like Brazilian Rain Tree, Ficus, Bouganvillea, etc. Cold hardy mountain pines - not so much :)
Riiight....thank you! Yes I noticed that which was a bummer. I looked at their pre bonsai chinese elms and was wishing I had just bought one of those instead of the two cheap $20 crappers from Brussels hahaha. From what I read I think the Chinese Elms will do ok in my area. On the east side of Portland near the Columbia River Gorge the wind chill can get intense but usually not below 15-20F

I do have grow lights down the road if needed for tropicals but that space under my lights is always at a premium 😆

greenguy

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just make sure to save some of the money for your kids college funds 😎🍻
I know right hahaha??? They should be ok. I'll probably being doing a lot of wild tree collecting coming up soon. I have a few friends that have some acreage in the area and over at the coast, I also back up to a river bluff with a forest so I can find strays out there on the property line pretty consistently it looks like. I really want to try a white oak but haven't found one yet.

Rhomer1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
greenguy, you might want to check out Market of Choice. They have been selling white oak starts $2.00 for Arbor Day. We picked up 2 when in Ashland, Or. last weekend. They were giving them away down there.

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey if you are into some raw material check out Evergreen Gardenworks they are not far from you in California. They also have specimens too!!!

Top Bottom