Hello, Im new to the forum and JBP. Here is my tree...

Mountain

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I bought this tree last week. I think that it has potential to be a nice bonsai. What do you guys/gals think? Comments are welcome!

Thanks and God Bless!

Untitled by ptipton1, on Flickr

Untitled by ptipton1, on Flickr

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks very promising.

Your lowest branches are forming a cross...you need to decide which one to keep/eliminate.

What is the plastic bag for? If it came in with that, you need to remove it and make sure teh bottom is not covering the drain holes.

Good luck and welcome to B-Nut!!!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome to BNut

I agree with what Dario said. The bag has to go. Also it needs to be outside.
It has some nice nebari started. It will take a few years before you can really start work on it because you'll need to get it to thicken that trunk up by letting it grow.

Mountain

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks to all! The bag is going to go! It was shipped like that. It has moss growing on the top, should I remove it?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would gently remove as much as you can as it tends to inhibit water from seeping into the soil.
Also does thar bucket have drainage holes? This is VERY important. You want the soil to drain freely. Most pines do not like their roots soaking in water.

Mountain

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It does have holes. The bag does too. I made sure of it :cool:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good but the bag still needs to go.

Mountain

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I can't seem to find a thread with info on young JBP and the steps to ensure success for the future. Can anyone send me in the right direction?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Search this forums and on Google for "Japanese Black Pine Bonsai". That will give a bunch of things to read.
Right now, the only thing you can do is read everything you can get your hands on about bonsai, books, forums etc.

First you will have to learn to keep the tree alive. Its fall and going soon into winter so the only thing you can do is put the tree in a sunny spot outside and keep an eye on it. Water it when the soil drys out. If the temps by you drop into the 20s, bring the tree inside an unheated garage until the temps go back up. It will be a few years before that guy has grown up enough for any major styling.

There is not guaranteed route to success, only a route that will give you the best chance at success. Don't get discouraged if the tree dies. Along the road to learning bonsai, you will kill a few trees.

Mountain

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I removed the plastic bag. Put the tree back into the pot and noticed that the rootball is smaller than the pot circumference. The soil mixture looks like regular potting soil as well. Should I repot?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I removed the plastic bag. Put the tree back into the pot and noticed that the rootball is smaller than the pot circumference. The soil mixture looks like regular potting soil as well. Should I repot?

Wait until spring. Always do work in the right season.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
That's a super nice JB pine. That is a good start for you. That tree looks like one that would stay with you for a lifetime.
Good luck!

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Brian's right about timing; more important with pines than with most other genera.

As for winter, I see you're in eastern Tennessee. What's your elevation, and your USDA zone? (The first affects the second.)

Pending the answer on your zone and elevation, I would say to tuck it into a sheltered spot outside, protected from wind and snow overload. (From critters, too.) Ideally, you want it to freeze once and stay frozen until spring; that is, unless you can give it consistent temperatures between 35 and 40 F thru the winter.

Mountain

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Elevation is 1208 ft. Zone is 6b
It was 74 f here today!

Just Mike

Seed
Reaction score
first post here...so...hello everyone!!

ok...so, i cant help but notice the lack of candles...where they removed at the base?

oh...and about the lower branches...i hate dissagreeing with people (especially in my very first post), but from what i can tell in the picture, they are staggered about 1/4 inch...if this is the case i would leave both of them for awhile until it looks like any sweeling may cause some taper problems...just my opinon.

Mountain

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
first post here...so...hello everyone!!

ok...so, i cant help but notice the lack of candles...where they removed at the base?

oh...and about the lower branches...i hate dissagreeing with people (especially in my very first post), but from what i can tell in the picture, they are staggered about 1/4 inch...if this is the case i would leave both of them for awhile until it looks like any sweeling may cause some taper problems...just my opinon.

I received the tree as is. There are a couple of white candles on the ends of the branches. The limbs are staggered.

Top Bottom