Hello just bought a dwarf blue orchid tree

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've had one of each, the standard size and the dwarf Orchid Tree, or Butt-print tree as my sister called them. Big Butt-print and dwarf Butt-print. Neither flowered for me and I got rid of each after maybe ten years of shitty wintering in my situation for each of them. The big one was really leggy. The little one was a little too airy and I never learned how to grow them to look the way I wanted them. My bad. I give any species ten years. Get good or get gone. I have a list of similar failures a mile long.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You realize @Bnana - from now on if you post anything without using the botanical name, I'll be dogging you for it...... But I do believe if one knows the botanical name, they should use it at least once in a thread, to make sure all the members, whether they are locals or not, native English speakers or not are clear on which species is being discussed.
That's exactly why I asked for a botanical/scientific name. I didn't have a clue which species OP meant with "orchid tree".

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Not everyone here is a botanist, or a mean-spirited squarehead either. For those with human as a second language, Bauhinia grandidieri is commonly called Dwarf Blue Orchid Tree. If it's good enough for Wigert, it's good enough for me. The big ones, Bauhinia blakeana and B. variegata, both Orchid Tree, and B. xblakenana, Hong Kong Orchid Tree are good enough for Dirr.

Last edited:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
That's exactly why I asked for a botanical/scientific name. I didn't have a clue which species OP meant with "orchid tree".

Yes, but you didn't ask politely. LOL, that's why I'll dog you.
Not a big deal. But do be more tolerant of common names, wikipedia will often lead you to the correct botanical name from various common names.

I slammed @HorseloverFat for pulling an obscure common name out of his arse, but I knew 2 things, one, he can take ribbing without getting mad, and 2, he deliberately used a common name that was obscure, rather than be direct. With those new to BNut, those who's post count for number of posts are below 100, I usually try to be gentle, as they may not be familiar with the "BNut Culture". Be kind to those who do not speak "botanical nomenclature" like a native.

Warlock

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Warlock - looks like Bauhinia lunarioides might be a good one for bonsai. The problem is, it is quite rare in the wild. Do many Texas nurseries carry it? Nursery propagated lunarioides might be a good thing for bonsai.
Leo.. oh, yea.. it's very popular at the local nursery don't think i ever saw it at Box Stores. in the spring it really puts out alot of nice flowers.. it's really recommended for where i live near Austin. i picked on up but i am keeping my eye out for a better specimen. :)

Top Bottom