Hello! My first bonsai ever.

prawn

Seed
Reaction score
Hello all!

I received a Texas Lilac Vitex for my birthday and its just a tiny stem (about 2in tall) with two tiny 1inch branches coming off with a few leaves. I saw that this could potentially be a bonsai plant and so I wanted to give it a go! Any tips? Is this actually doable with this type of tree? Any help appreciated!

:)

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Whenever I want to know if a tree can be bonsai'd I Google image search that tree as a bonsai to see if it's been done before.

Now if you can't find any images don't get discouraged because just about any woody plant can be bonsai'd. Two big factors are that it has smallish leaves and shortish internodes between the leaves.

prawn

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks! I looked it up and it seems like it can be bonsai'd. It is more commonly known as a vitex agnus castus. I guess I will let it grow a little bit then try to shape it!

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Where are the manners? Welcome to the nut house!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome! Vitex can be a bonsai no doubt, but is not used near as much as it should be. Hardy, fast growers that will reduce leaf size quite readily. I had one a few years ago that did not receive the winter care it needed and died. Which is a dam shame as it was shaping up nicely! here is the link to that one. https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/nursery-vitex-chaste-tree.34251/

I think your going to find that growing out the one you have for several years first, before doing anything will be the way to go. In the mean time, search your nurseries or online nurseries considering the times were in, for a few more trees to play with and improve your skills. Its easy to love your first tree to death, so having more on hand to keep you busy helps reduce that chance. Good luck and enjoy this beautiful art!

Top Bottom