Hello, New to Bonsai.

Gt4profession

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new to Bonsai and had a question. I have a dwarf trident maple and leaves are turning yellow on the inside and some are
falling now. Is this normal for summer?
20200613_100906.jpg

Attachments

• 20200613_100915.jpg
    20200613_100915.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 20200613_100915.jpg
    20200613_100915.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 40

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seems more than "normal", last time I had it was a scale infestation.
Looks like it might be a nutritional thing.
Pot might be staying too dry.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Gt4profession

Seedling
Reaction score
The watering part I got down and the nutrients I am doing for all my bonsai. My other ones seem to be losing their leaves as well and slowly changing color as well. Would this be the heat causing this?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Greetings, traveler. Let us tend to the whimsical needs of the woody dwarf inhabitants of the “Tiny Forest”...there’s enough love for all!

I agree with @sorce , looks normal-ish enough for no immediate frenzy.

The watering part I got down and the nutrients I am doing for all my bonsai. My other ones seem to be losing their leaves as well and slowly changing color as well. Would this be the heat causing this?

This may be..

To help assist the kind, generous and knowledgeable people here, you may want to update your profile information to reflect a location (However vague you’d like to be.. mine simply says, “NorthEastern Wisconsin) to give an accurate portrayal of your climate zone.

THEN we can really “get down ta’bidniss”

Pleasure to make your acquaintance.

Gt4profession

Seedling
Reaction score
Greetings, traveler. Let us tend to the whimsical needs of the woody dwarf inhabitants of the “Tiny Forest”...there’s enough love for all!

I agree with @sorce , looks normal-ish enough for no immediate frenzy.

This may be..

To help assist the kind, generous and knowledgeable people here, you may want to update your profile information to reflect a location (However vague you’d like to be.. mine simply says, “NorthEastern Wisconsin) to give an accurate portrayal of your climate zone.

THEN we can really “get down ta’bidniss”

Pleasure to make your acquaintance.
Sorry about that, I am in Florida. I will update it now

Gt4profession

Seedling
Reaction score
No problem at all, friend. :)
Thank you, so it should not be anything to worry about. Some of the other ones are losing their green as well. As soon as it started getting hot here in Florida they all look sad. I water them and monitor them but yet it worries me. This just makes me feel not at ease. 😕

delblas4

Seed
Reaction score
Thank you, so it should not be anything to worry about. Some of the other ones are losing their green as well. As soon as it started getting hot here in Florida they all look sad. I water them and monitor them but yet it worries me. This just makes me feel not at ease. 😕

That FL sun is no joke!

I live in GA and i keep most of my bonsais outside in a mostly shaded area. Also with a small pot like that the FL heat could dry the watering you gave it in hours.

Just keep a daily eye on it, change up some of the variables too if your tree is showing signs of stress.
-Less fertilizer
-More watering
-Less direct sun
-More direct sun

when you get it right, your tree will thank you.

Good luck.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Heat could be an issue in that climate, no doubt. Here’s a couple questions to get the ball rollin’.

How long are they in the sun for?

What is their nutrient schedule like?

Have you treated them at all?

Any other unusual stressors?

There is an interesting thread here about container color in hotter climates.. I’ll look around for it.

Gt4profession

Seedling
Reaction score
That FL sun is no joke!

I live in GA and i keep most of my bonsais outside in a mostly shaded area. Also with a small pot like that the FL heat could dry the watering you gave it in hours.

Just keep a daily eye on it, change up some of the variables too if your tree is showing signs of stress.
-Less fertilizer
-More watering
-Less direct sun
-More direct sun

when you get it right, your tree will thank you.

Good luck.
I will do just that, thank you so much

Gt4profession

Seedling
Reaction score
Heat could be an issue in that climate, no doubt. Here’s a couple questions to get the ball rollin’.

How long are they in the sun for?

What is their nutrient schedule like?

Have you treated them at all?

Any other unusual stressors?

There is an interesting thread here about container color in hotter climates.. I’ll look around for it.
They stay in a green house with fans on, I monitor the temperature and the green house door stays open. I just moved them in there about two weeks ago.

I feed them usually every other week.

Yes I have treated them, when saw spider webs on the other maples I jumped on it.

I would say the move to the green house is the only stressor, before that I had them under shade cloth. I moved them due to the storms we were getting and then that's when the heat started coming.

Thank you so much for your help, it's a sigh of relief knowing that others are willing to help. I was and am freaking out

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
They stay in a green house with fans on, I monitor the temperature and the green house door stays open. I just moved them in there about two weeks ago.

I feed them usually every other week.

Yes I have treated them, when saw spider webs on the other maples I jumped on it.

I would say the move to the green house is the only stressor, before that I had them under shade cloth. I moved them due to the storms we were getting and then that's when the heat started coming.

Thank you so much for your help, it's a sigh of relief knowing that others are willing to help. I was and am freaking out

Deep.. breaths. ;)

When did this move occur?

Trees can wear their stress “on their sleeve” for quite awhile. If it was within the past two weeks, I would say the trees are definitely still “bouncing back” from that. (If they HAPPENED to get sun-burnt, it would would be longer, even)

...something to consider.

Possibly NOT the issue.. but absolutely notable.

:)

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Oooh Orlando! You live in “tourist” florida, correct?

What are your thoughts on FLORIDA florida? ;) ;) ;) (I’ve got North-Floridean family)

Gt4profession

Seedling
Reaction score
Deep.. breaths. ;)

When did this move occur?

Trees can wear their stress “on their sleeve” for quite awhile. If it was within the past two weeks, I would say the trees are definitely still “bouncing back” from that. (If they HAPPENED to get sun-burnt, it would would be longer, even)

...something to consider.

Possibly NOT the issue.. but absolutely notable.

:)
The move was about three to four weeks ago.

Gt4profession

Seedling
Reaction score
Oooh Orlando! You live in “tourist” florida, correct?

What are your thoughts on FLORIDA florida? ;) ;) ;) (I’ve got North-Floridean family)
Orlando is ok but I honestly miss the season's changing like how it is up north. I think this is why I am so attached to japanese maples, with the leaves falling and the color changing. Do not get me wrong Florida is nice and all but the weather is just constant here all the time and won't let up until February. Yet sometimes then it's still hot.

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I Read somewhere that maples getting too much sun can dry out their leaves something to consider. I had mine under lights for more than 10 hrs and a few of my maples were not happy now I have them on a covered porch and they are doing much better. Also tridents leaves can dry up and fall off if they are not getting enough water.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello, and welcome.
I would suggest that you try to find a local club or local enthusiast that can give you advice for your particular situation. Local people who know the climate and its challenges are best suited to help you out. As it's the inner leaves that are showing the yellowing, it might point to lack of sun to the inner leaves. It could be that the move into an inside situation precipitated this issue, but it could be any number of issues.

Gt4profession

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello, and welcome.
I would suggest that you try to find a local club or local enthusiast that can give you advice for your particular situation. Local people who know the climate and its challenges are best suited to help you out. As it's the inner leaves that are showing the yellowing, it might point to lack of sun to the inner leaves. It could be that the move into an inside situation precipitated this issue, but it could be any number of issues.
Thank you for that information, as of now it seems as it my trident maple is stable but still the colors look very pale. I have been checking up on all my maples almost 5 times a day ensuring they are not getting extremely hot or etc.

Vrikshasana

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7ab
Same here in Alabama. Yellow interior leaves. I got response to my post saying interior leaves are being shaded out and it’s normal....but the tree doesn’t have a robust canopy to be shading out leaves at this point. I think there’s probably something else going on. Like too much sun, idk

Vrikshasana

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7ab
Hello, and welcome.
Finding local clubs isn’t very easy or convenient for everyone. I’m starting wonder why we’re all here if not to offer help and advice/answer people’s questions (even though they are new to bonsai, after all, what’s new anymore....with google and all)

Top Bottom