Hello new to forum from New York

Angelique14

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi everyone I got four baby bonsai I'm a beginner love plants just trying to get some input on sonthibg I'll post a pic thxs

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 46

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome to B-Nut!

The one on humidity tray with pebbles...is it on water? That will drown your tree. Though it is only the pot on water...it will wick water up. Juniper (and most plants) roots do not like being too wet.

Angelique14

Yamadori
Reaction score
Welcome to B-Nut!

The one on humidity tray with pebbles...is it on water? That will drown your tree. Though it is only the pot on water...it will wick water up. Juniper (and most plants) roots do not like being too wet.

The pot is on the humidity tray only the water that cones out is in there but I don't put water in there

Angelique14

Yamadori
Reaction score
Welcome to B-Nut!

I have a question if you don't mind I just got the Chinese azalea it's a baby can I repot it it's in a plastic thing from the nursery

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a question if you don't mind I just got the Chinese azalea it's a baby can I repot it it's in a plastic thing from the nursery

Depends on the size of the new pot. If you will not harm the roots (usually up potting or moving to a bigger pot), you can always do it.

It need to grow so I think you should leave it on it's pot for now.

This is the first I've heard of Chinese Azalea BTW. :)

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You could slip pot it into a larger container to let it grow. The humidity trays are more useful to protect surfaces beneath Bonsai from water damage, yours seem to be outside so they are unneeded. People lose plants while using them all the time probably thinking the water in the tray below will magically travel up into the pot when needed. This wicking could only take place if the water level was as high as the soil in the pot above, or if the roots escaped through the screen and drain and into the tray below. Of course you could have some elaborate wicking system installed that is not visible in the picture. :p

ed

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The pot is on the humidity tray only the water that cones out is in there but I don't put water in there

When the tray fills empty it rather then let the pot sit in it. If it contains liquid fertilizer toss it into a water container for re use. Those plants will appreciate it.

I would hesitate to recommend repot unless you use the substrate they sent it home in. It is probably fresh and does not need replaced. Azalea here do not like roots messed with a lot and like a rather loose mix that drains well. I have some that have been in the same bulb pots and substrate going on 4 seasons now and I am not repotting or working them until next year.

Grimmy

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ed,

Pots do work as wicks...especially the cheaper ones (low fired).

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ed,

Pots do work as wicks...especially the cheaper ones (low fired).

Prove it Dario. Show me one shred of proof that a ceramic pot even a cheap clay flower pot will pull up enough water to drown a plant.

EDIT --- Also Dario wicking systems , wicks placed into the roots that draw water from a reservoir on the same level of the plant, (not below the plant) these wicking systems are purported to never cause root rot as the water only is drawn when needed.

So, your container wicking effect - wicks/draws water up from the tray below, through the walls of the cheap low-fired pot in enough volume to drown the plant above ? I'd love to see ONE, 1, UNO, piece of evidence to back this wild assertation up.

ed

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Prove it Dario. Show me one shred of proof that a ceramic pot even a cheap clay flower pot will pull up enough water to drown a plant.

ed

I've learned from our previous exchanges that it is very difficult to change your opinion. I am not in that business (it doesn't pay enough). ;) Believe me or not, it doesn't matter. I shared my thoughts that is it.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've learned from our previous exchanges that it is very difficult to change your opinion. I am not in that business (it doesn't pay enough). ;) Believe me or not, it doesn't matter. I shared my thoughts that is it.

Don't be an ass Dario, show me proof and my opinion will be changed. That will not happen any quicker than you could provide proof of a wicking pot drowning a plant.

I have learned from conversations here that even with proof there are those who have an opinion and when shown proof they turn to insults and attacks to bolster their opinion. I am not like that, as I said above SHOW ME PROOF and I will agree.

ed

Angelique14

Yamadori
Reaction score
Depends on the size of the new pot. If you will not harm the roots (usually up potting or moving to a bigger pot), you can always do it.

Ok so I took a pic Mabey the guy told me weong name

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Don't be an ass Dario, show me proof and my opinion will be changed. That will not happen any quicker than you could provide proof of a wicking pot drowning a plant.

I have learned from conversations here that even with proof there are those who have an opinion and when shown proof they turn to insults and attacks to bolster their opinion. I am not like that, as I said above SHOW ME PROOF and I will agree.

ed

Honest I could see that happening with organic substrate. For instance my Azaleas are in a rich Cactus mix in plastic Bulb Pots which are in a variety of old glassware. To water them at this time of year I fill the glassware to around an inch and they soak it up in about four hours every 3 days. I water the same way when they are in Bloom DAILY and the soak it ALL up. If I watered them daily now they would still soak it up and the growth would be weak and they would eventually die. Less expensive clay pots would enhance that as they have high porosity and take forever to dry... Those roots need air as well, without it they rot...

Grimmy

Angelique14

Yamadori
Reaction score
When the tray fills empty it rather then let the pot sit in it. If it contains liquid fertilizer toss it into a water container for re use. Those plants will appreciate it.

I would hesitate to recommend repot unless you use the substrate they sent it home in. It is probably fresh and does not need replaced. Azalea here do not like roots messed with a lot and like a rather loose mix that drains well. I have some that have been in the same bulb pots and substrate going on 4 seasons now and I am not repotting or working them until next year.

Grimmy
Ok let me see if I got it sorry guys yous r being very helpfull

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 21

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Honest I could see that happening with organic substrate. For instance my Azaleas are in a rich Cactus mix in plastic Bulb Pots which are in a variety of old glassware. To water them at this time of year I fill the glassware to around an inch and they soak it up in about four hours every 3 days. I water the same way when they are in Bloom DAILY and the soak it ALL up. If I watered them daily now they would still soak it up and the growth would be weak and they would eventually die. Less expensive clay pots would enhance that as they have high porosity and take forever to dry... Those roots need air as well, without it they rot...

Grimmy

Grimmy, true an inch of water would cover the bottom of the pot, most pots being 2-3 inches in depth that would be into the soil. The trays are beneath the pot and the feet of the pot are all that is in the water. Even if these feet were made of cotton wicks (good wicking) the water would have to wick upwards against hydraulic pressure.

ed

Angelique14

Yamadori
Reaction score

I put a pic of the azalea

Top Bottom