Hello

M

mattmenzo

Hello I'm Matt, i am new to the art of bonsai and i have a few questions.

First off can a bonsai be grown from a seed or only graphed.
2. Are there any straight up germinating/potting/careing guides for a Japanese maple on this fine website.and i know Bonsai means potted tree or whatever, but how small does it have to be.

thanks

TimD

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hey Matt welcome.
Instead of rewriting the book =-) I'll give you a link that should answer most of your introductory questions.
http://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_Intro.html

There is a ton of info on that site. Sites can only take you so far starting out. Your best bet would be to locate a Bonsai shop in your area and take an intro class. They usually aren't that expensive but the folks there will be able to help you pick some trees that work well in your area.

The seedling idea is a great one if you know your in it for the long haul.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello I'm Matt, i am new to the art of bonsai and i have a few questions.

First off can a bonsai be grown from a seed or only graphed.
2. Are there any straight up germinating/potting/careing guides for a Japanese maple on this fine website.and i know Bonsai means potted tree or whatever, but how small does it have to be.

thanks

Matt,
Run for your life. I'm just sayin'.

Boondock

Shohin
Reaction score
Matt, welcome to bNUT.

If you're young, don't be afraid to start with seeds. You can learn alot.

But, then again, I plant seeds every year and I'm in my 40's. And I plant hawthorn seeds, which is darn near crazy since they take 2 or 3 years to germinate. But I'm on my 5th year of annually sowing them. Trust me, that second year of looking at and watering a empty pot takes patience.

READ! and don't stop

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome Matt! Glad to have you.

Top Bottom