Help and advice on these little guys!!! (Mame)

Reaction score
Wasn't sure which forum to put this under. This is only my second day on this page and love the generosity and help you guys all give !! Been doing bonsai 3yrs now and came a long way. So figured I try my luck in other fields..... so the point of this post is these 2 little guys. Trying to keep them small and stay small. Can't really find much on the web about how to start them or keep continuous care for them. Only thing I found worthy enough was "if your going to keep in a small pot it's better to put into the small pot, then plant into a bigger pot, and as it grows trim roots growing out the bottom of the smaller pot"....but there has to be more to it. Any advice be great!!! Some back story on these little guys: the "Ficus" was a cutting that I put in peat moss, with one leaf and it took. When it took roots I put into this small pot/bigger pot and it's has continued to grow as you see. This is about 2 months like this.... The "Jap Maple" I was given this at this size about 3 weeks ago. I dug it out the small nursey pot it was in, fed the roots it had threw the hole of the smaller pot and let them grow free into the bigger pot..... everything happy, healthy, and doing good, But now what!!! Lol how to keep it going and staying small. I also took picture of the small pots I have them in. This pot is a size smaller then the ones there actually in, but it gives at a idea. So for the long post guys

Attachments

• IMG_3196.JPG
    IMG_3196.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3197.JPG
    IMG_3197.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3201.JPG
    IMG_3201.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3203.JPG
    IMG_3203.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3204.JPG
    IMG_3204.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 41

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool little plants. You might take a look at the Mame forum for some tips on the small bonsai. A lot of good info there.

Reaction score
Cool little plants. You might take a look at the Mame forum for some tips on the small bonsai. A lot of good info there.
Really there's a Mame forum!?!? I was looking for a such forum to post this in and couldn't find it. I'm also new to the page so still finding my way around. Thanks man!!

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you tap the forum button top left of home page it gives you all the forums. I think the mame is about 3/4 of the way down the page under special interest I believe.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And if you want it to look like a tree you need to let it grow until it's the thickness you want then chop it down.
If you keep them in tiny pots they will always look like seedlings.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The mame forum must have info regarding the kind of substrate to use... but let me please ask also here.
Mainly Jerry @jeremy_norbury what is your proportions of inorganic/organic into your mix? Or it is only organic that should be used for mame bonsai?
Thank you!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The mame forum must have info regarding the kind of substrate to use... but let me please ask also here.
Mainly Jerry @jeremy_norbury what is your proportions of inorganic/organic into your mix? Or it is only organic that should be used for mame bonsai?
Thank you!
I use almost no organics, generally, because in a humidity tray they just don't dry out.

The organic material on top of the soil in my photos is self-seeded moss due to the high moisture levels.

I do use fine grain components in my soil - so 2mm shohin akadama, 2-4mm pumice and fine grade Diatomaceous earth.

Top Bottom