Help! Bit doesn't fit in my Makita Die-Grinder

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi everybody. I bought a Makita GD0600 Die-Grinder, and then bought a couple inexpensive 1/4'' carbide router bits that others had recommended in previous threads (Freud and Whiteside). I don't know if I bought the wrong bits, or if I'm just doing it wrong, but the bits don't seem to fit inside the collet. I have taken the little cap off, and it looks like the bits are just too large to slide down inside the collet and I don't see how to make it any looser, doesn't look possible. I thought I would just insert the bit, hand tighten the cap, and then use the included wrenches to tighten it a bit more. What am I doing wrong? The label on the Makita says 1/4'' (6.35mm) and the bits are labeled 1/4''. Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Ross

Attachments

• 20140922_202057.jpg
    20140922_202057.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 20140922_202010.jpg
    20140922_202010.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 34

RustyNail

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
have you tried to pull the collet out and see if it will slide on the shaft that way. looks to me like the collet is in it's clamped position it will be a snug fit when putting it in. may want to slide bit in collet and then place in head then put nut on .if shaft wont go through the nut when it's off then it is to big.

Last edited:

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
have you tried to pull the collet out and see if it will slide on the shaft that way. looks to me like the collet is in it's clamped position it will be a snug fit when putting it in. may want to slide bit in collet and then place in head then put nut on .if shaft wont go through the nut when it's off then it is to big.

Thanks for the quick reply. How do I pull the collet out of there safely?

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the quick reply. How do I pull the collet out of there safely?

I've used a nail with a head a little smaller than 1/4" before. Use a pair of vise grips on the other side and slide it in the collet until you can get the nail head to grab the base. I'm sure you get the picture.

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
Nevermind, it came right out with some needle-nose pliers, and the bit slides in. Now it fits neatly back into the Makita, thanks Rusty!

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks Vin, I was typing when you replied. That was a quick resolution, you guys are awesome.

Ross

RustyNail

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
put the nut back on but not all the way down against the collet and tap the side of the nut with a piece of wood or gently with small hammer.. or take a pair of needle nose with the tip and pull straight out Do Not squeeze the collet from side to side it may brake it.

RustyNail

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
good glad you got it out . my 2 finger typing is slow .
thank's Vin good trick I have forgot so many thing's
due to all my minie strokes it just gets me sometimes.

RustyNail

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Another note always wear safety glasses . Think safety first.

Bit don't know skin from wood. So be carefull.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Ross.

Same thing happened to me when I bought the last "open" Dremel at the depot.

SOMEONE ACTUALLY TIGHTENED IT TO BROKE, AND RETURNED IT.

Just dont want you to be stuck with a busted collet if your fix was temporary.

I took mine right back and exchanged it.

You don't want a bit hittin you at 35k rpm.

ALWAYS WEAR YOUR SAFETY GOGGLES!

Sorce

Top Bottom