Help! Bonsai dying, heart breaking

BonsaiMama

Seed
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My Fukien bonsai went from good to bad within days and I'm looking for ways to revive it.
I usually put it next to my window, which faces south and can get really sunny, I'm wondering if that was the issue.
I tried my best not to overwater it and keep the soil moist.

Do you have any suggestions to help it get back in shape? Hope it's not too late
I'm a total beginner so any tips, recommendations for better care will be super helpful

Thanks for your help!

Grace

Bonsai.jpg

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I wouldn’t think too much sun as the issue, unless foliage was pressed up to the glass.
even then, I wouldn’t think the whole tree would be getting fried.
Have you been checking the soils moisture between watering, or routinely watering?

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My gut is telling me to check the roots. Is the tree firmly rooted, or does it wiggle in the pot?

BonsaiMama

Seed
Reaction score
I wouldn’t think too much sun as the issue, unless foliage was pressed up to the glass.
even then, I wouldn’t think the whole tree would be getting fried.
Have you been checking the soils moisture between watering, or routinely watering?
Thank you so much for your reply Eckhoffw, I usually water it every two days or so and check the soil moisture with my finger. IF I overwatered it by mistake, should I check the roots and repot it with new soil to help it? I'll take pictures of the roots and share if I take that route. Thanks again!

BonsaiMama

Seed
Reaction score
My gut is telling me to check the roots. Is the tree firmly rooted, or does it wiggle in the pot?
Hi Gabler, thanks for your reply. It doesn't wiggle in the pot no, the store wired it down to secure it. I'll check the roots and share the pictures, just to get to the bottom. Thanks again

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I believe this is something that Fukien tea do. They do not like any changes so when shifted from one place to another they routinely drop leaves but usually grow new leaves a few weeks later.
Definitely take care with watering. Definitely take care with light and heat but otherwise cross fingers and hope for the best.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I believe this is something that Fukien tea do. They do not like any changes so when shifted from one place to another they routinely drop leaves but usually grow new leaves a few weeks later.
Definitely take care with watering. Definitely take care with light and heat but otherwise cross fingers and hope for the best.

That's good to hear some optimistic input. I've really only worked with local temperate species, so when I see the leaves looking like that, I see a serious problem. If Fukien tea trees look like that when they drop their leaves and routinely bounce back, that's pretty good news for the tree.

TheAfroKing

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm also very new at this so may not know what I'm talking about but, are they a tropical species? They might need the occasional misting if so to simulate humidity.

Also if worse case scenario and it does die, don't give up! I killed my first tree as well but I've learned from the experience and now have a tree of the same type that I've been able to keep alive. Bonsai has a bit of a learning curve at the beginning and it's common to loose a few trees when you don't know what you're doing, you're new at it so don't feel bad for being a beginner.

Good Luck!

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
This is a finicky tree and does well with partial sun and I limit the watering on mine. Unlike most of my trees I only water my FT when it's bone dry. I also keep it away from the other trees because it tends to be buggy. Yours look like it needs to dry out completely and then be careful on the watering.

Remove all the dead leaves and check to be sure the branches are alive. If not remove them too.

Good luck.

Top Bottom