Help! Bonsai health!

boyee

Seedling
Reaction score
Help! I went on vacation from school and took my bonsai with me. I thought I found a good place to put my bonsai and I have been watering it every week (since it’s winter season) but the leaves are turning very light, almost pale green. Can someone let me know what’s going on and what I can do to fix this? Please!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Help! I went on vacation from school and took my bonsai with me. I thought I found a good place to put my bonsai and I have been watering it every week (since it’s winter season) but the leaves are turning very light, almost pale green. Can someone let me know what’s going on and what I can do to fix this? Please!
Upload some pictures

boyee

Seedling
Reaction score
!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 61

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
And now you're keeping it indoors?
I mean, you're not providing a lot of key information. It looks bad. It might already be dead.
Junipers need to be outdoors all year round. They can turn color in winter, but I see more issues in the foliage that are pretty worrying. Don't get your hopes up.

boyee

Seedling
Reaction score
I had no idea! I’m new to bonsai and so I had my bonsai indoors back in my dorm and it looked pretty good, I’ll attach an image too. I got my bonsai last August and it had looked very healthy. This is how it looked right before I left for vacation which was early December

Attachments

• 4B79A42A-642F-4DBD-BE75-2F01EFE6F919.jpeg
    4B79A42A-642F-4DBD-BE75-2F01EFE6F919.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 61

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Juniper can look alive for a long time before showing it is in a death spiral. I believe your tree was dead before holiday.

Try again with a species good for indoor.

boyee

Seedling
Reaction score
It’s a pot in a cup. The pot has a hole at the bottom so when I water it I don’t want water to spill out and onto whatever surface the pot is on. I’m a broke college student so a cup is the best I can do

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 42

boyee

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you to those that replied to this thread, I appreciate the honesty

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Don't beat yourself up about it, this stuff happens. Here are some good beginner articles and resources to help you not repeat your mistake. If you are going to keep your next tree in a similar situation, my advice would be to water it in your sink and let it drain completely - that coffee cup will just hold the water and it will wick back up into your pot and act as if you have no drainage.

Start here and move on to the articles link at the end: https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/bonsaip.htm

Another good springboard for a beginner. The paid beginners course videos they offer are good too: https://www.bonsaiempire.com/basics

You could also check with your college library and see if they have the following books that could be had via inter library loan:

"Bonsai" by Peter Warren

"Bonsai Basics" by Harry Harrington

"Bonsai Workshop" by Herb Gustafson

"Bonsai Beginners Bible" by Peter Chan (this one may be dated)

You can also search YouTube for "Bonsai Beginner Series" by Bonsai Mirai.

This should keep you busy for awhile. :)

boyee

Seedling
Reaction score
Don't beat yourself up about it, this stuff happens. Here are some good beginner articles and resources to help you not repeat your mistake. If you are going to keep your next tree in a similar situation, my advice would be to water it in your sink and let it drain completely - that coffee cup will just hold the water and it will wick back up into your pot and act as if you have no drainage.

Start here and move on to the articles link at the end: https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/bonsaip.htm

Another good springboard for a beginner. The paid beginners course videos they offer are good too: https://www.bonsaiempire.com/basics

You could also check with your college library and see if they have the following books that could be had via inter library loan:

"Bonsai" by Peter Warren

"Bonsai Basics" by Harry Harrington

"Bonsai Workshop" by Herb Gustafson

"Bonsai Beginners Bible" by Peter Chan (this one may be dated)

You can also search YouTube for "Bonsai Beginner Series" by Bonsai Mirai.

This should keep you busy for awhile. :)
🥺🥺🥺
Thank you so much! You’re a godsend!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Go buy a fig (Ficus). There are many different leaf forms, so you should be able to find one you like. They are usually cheaper, too. An alternative is Schefflera arboricola, Umbrella Tree. None of them should ever be in standing water. Try to water them with just enough water to get a few drops of of the drainage hole. Touch the soil with your finger, if dry water, if not wait a day or two. They can be dry for few days without harm. Burtt Davi fig:
Ficus Benjamina 'Too Little' var. Dutch Treat
Ficus Benjamina Golden Benjamin
Ficus microcarpa 'Green Island'
Ficus microcarpa 'Green Mound'
These are all figs

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is dead. Junipers are not houseplants. I have been practicing horticulture 60 years and I would be hard pressed to keep one inside. Start over with a hardy tropical like a ficus which has been suggested.

Top Bottom