Help! Brazilian rain tree loosing green leaves

Robertree

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have had this tree for 3 years with no problems, however this summer it has struggled. growth has been slow, and this week it has begun shedding green leaves.

I have always kept it indoors on my bedroom window it faces east and gets plenty of sun. it has been here since Christmas 2015. I have always fertilized it with a Lady bug brand fertilizer called "Johns Recipe"

the roots look healthy through the drain screen. I water it the same as I always have. (two to three times a week depending on temperature)

I have never re-potted it or pruned the roots. this may be the problem, but i am hesitant to do it while the tree seems weak.

I am very worried about my tree as i do not want to loose it.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Robert

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have had this tree for 3 years with no problems, however this summer it has struggled. growth has been slow, and this week it has begun shedding green leaves.

I have always kept it indoors on my bedroom window it faces east and gets plenty of sun. it has been here since Christmas 2015. I have always fertilized it with a Lady bug brand fertilizer called "Johns Recipe"

the roots look healthy through the drain screen. I water it the same as I always have. (two to three times a week depending on temperature)

I have never re-potted it or pruned the roots. this may be the problem, but i am hesitant to do it while the tree seems weak.

I am very worried about my tree as i do not want to loose it.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Robert
Welcome!

First of all, can you include your location in your profile so we can better help you?

Secondly, do you have a picture you could share of the tree?

Robertree

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I do not have a recent picture of it sadly, but i will take one this evening, and post it.

I have added location info to my profile

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have always kept it indoors
Why? I have to bring mine indoors here, for the winter, and they don't particularly care to be there. Is there some reason it can't be outside most of the time in TX?

Robertree

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I live in a duplex, and have nowhere i can put it outside. It has done really well up until now. It really brightens up the room. 20150312_154701.jpg

Robertree

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
See the big bear spot? It was full in the spring, and the leaves fell off fairly rapidly over the last week.

The second picture is one of the leaves that had fallen. It looks pretty green to me and it is nither floppy or crispy.
20180824_190214.jpg20180824_190226.jpg

janaiya

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi, I am new to Bonsai but I am having the same problems, only that my leaflets are not yet falling. I have read on Adams Levignes blog talking about senesence and this might be happening to the tree. My leaflets look the same, my green is really more a light green instead being full green and at the outer ends they start to get yellow. Some leaflets are all yellow now and falling by touch. I believe it has to do with the roots, they need to be checked if there are nematodes or too much water.
I have been emailing several people with BRT's but haven't got an answer yet . Did you figure it out meanwhile? What did you do?
My BRT is a bigger bonsai , 35 yrs old and I just got it 2 weeks ago. It sits outdoors in Miami and might be still under stress from the new habitat. If anyone has any tips pls let me know. I am very confused and stopped watering for 3 days to see a change but there is not. I am attaching some pics. It sits South and has full sun until 3pm. Watering 3 times a week depending on the soil. The tray is under soil but not covered by soil and that might be a problem as well. Should I take it out and put it on a stand ? The nursery where I bought said its ok to put it in soil.

View attachment 221599View attachment 221600

Top Bottom