Help! Bug ID? Bonsai suffering

Helen2890

Seed
Reaction score
I’ve had this Chinese elm bonsai for several years now, and it has always been a quick grower and looks lovely. Last year I had a major spider mite infestation which took me most of the summer to eradicate. So I’ve been keeping a close eye on it and I’ve noticed theses tiny white bugs? (I’m assuming) on a lot of the leaves and on all new growth points. They are tiny and hardly visible white specks on the top and bottom of the leaves. But do not move as far as I can see. But it is damaging the plant as those leaves and growth points are yellowing/browning and then dying off.

I’ve treated the plant for bugs, but it doesn’t seem to have had any impact. I just need help identifying what it is and what to do. I’ve attached the best pics I could get. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Attachments

• 533D4BEB-F7AE-4B8D-B65E-BE13B44FFD33.jpeg
    533D4BEB-F7AE-4B8D-B65E-BE13B44FFD33.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 05457BC7-6EA5-4170-B677-69EC474155F7.jpeg
    05457BC7-6EA5-4170-B677-69EC474155F7.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 44
  • BA358EAB-D027-4F97-AC08-705733BD9B87.jpeg
    BA358EAB-D027-4F97-AC08-705733BD9B87.jpeg
    218.1 KB · Views: 50

Helen2890

Seed
Reaction score
head and shoulders
It’s definitely not dust or anything as they are also on the undersides of the leaves, especially around the midrib and veins. I just couldn’t get any good pics

Helen2890

Seed
Reaction score
Underside of leaves

Attachments

• 035D51E1-8E3F-4670-9FC0-357AC4F89B18.jpeg
    035D51E1-8E3F-4670-9FC0-357AC4F89B18.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 41

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Lots of bugs live part of their life on the leaves, but come from eggs hidden in rugged bark or laid in the soil. Whatever spray that you choose, it needs to get every part of the tree and bark and should be used as a soil drench, too. A spray of Dawn dishwashing soap in water can work on critters that get covered in it because it coats their breathing pores in the side of their bodies, but doesn't do anything to those walking or crawling on the surface of leaves and under the bark or in the soil. That's why something with a bug poison added works better. I use Pyola which is a horticultural oil for smothering and pyrethrin as poison, safe as a spray for a houseplant. There are others.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Could be thrips but those tend to respond to most insecticides.
Spider mites can become resistant to insecticides in a few weeks time if the treatment isn't covering the entire plant and all plants nearby.

This tree is indoors isn't it?
Here in Europe, as well as the UK, spider mites are hardly an issue outdoors. In my entire life I have seen two cases of spider mites doing damage to outdoor plants, both of which were citrus in poor health.. Spider mites thrive indoors. Indoors we usually keep a lot of other plants that aren't badly affected by them, but those houseplants will function as a good host. Spider mites rarely overrun them, but as soon as another plant enters the same room, they'll jump ship and invade the new plant. In a couple weeks, it's going to show.

The webs are a dead giveaway.

While pyrethrin is classified as safe for houseplants, the residues can linger for a long time and are known to cause allergies and respiratory issues. So it's best to spray plants outdoors at all times.
Pyrethrin is also a cat killer. They lack the enzymes to break it down and it'll accumulate in their organs.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd submerge it for a day.

Welcome to Crazy!

Call it the "yellowing Submarine".

Sorce

Top Bottom